Gauge Incorrect!

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD
So, while my CX-5 is in the shop for service the dealership gave me a Mazda 3 hatchback as a loaner. Whenever I get a rental car, I always look at the little arrow near the fuel gauge so I know which side of the car the fuel door is on (which is why it's there).

But low and behold, someone at Mazda is lacking attention to detail! The arrow points to the passenger side, but the door is on the driver's side! This is the first car I've ever seen with this arrow being in error.

Probably just using parts from other markets / models, but I wonder if this violates some sort of regulation regarding gauges.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting amd was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Attachments

• 0303201751.jpg
    0303201751.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
I read that symbol to indicate that the gas door is on the left (driver's) side of the car. Seems correct to me...unless it's a RHD car...I can't tell where you are located.

@stickerbush Sorry, yeah this is in the USA (driver on left, fuel door on left). Sorry I can't seem to get the photo to rotate, but in this case it should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

Anyway, funny how we look at this and see two different things. To me it's an arrow that looks like this ___\

(as best as I can represent here, like the bottom 1/2 of the pointy end is missing)

I also found that someone posted this image online which represents how I'm viewing this arrow

1583343313643.png

The image is labeled "6 Signature fuel door arrow", so perhaps from a Mazda6? There's no context to the photo, but perhaps the same issue being discussed with that model?

That's hilarious. It's not an arrow in either direction!

That's like when kids do the combined T and F on True-False tests.

@stickerbush Sorry, yeah this is in the USA (driver on left, fuel door on left). Sorry I can't seem to get the photo to rotate, but in this case it should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

Anyway, funny how we look at this and see two different things. To me it's an arrow that looks like this ___\

(as best as I can represent here, like the bottom 1/2 of the pointy end is missing)

I also found that someone posted this image online which represents how I'm viewing this arrow

View attachment 223337

The image is labeled "6 Signature fuel door arrow", so perhaps from a Mazda6? There's no context to the photo, but perhaps the same issue being discussed with that model?

That is definitely odd. On one hand, the arrow is pointing to the left side of the icon. Could be interpreted as meaning the fuel door is on the left side. That said, most vehicles I've seen have something that looks like this to indicate where the fuel door is:

2145913_062517tankarrow.jpg

That image is pretty hard to confuse IMO. The arrow is on the left side of the icon and points to the left. On cars where the fuel door is on the right, the arrow points to the right and is on the right side of the icon. I'm 99% sure the fuel door indicator looks like the icon above on my CX-9.

Latest posts

Back