gas type on the 6s ~ 87 or 89?

Remember too high an octane has negative side effects...including loss of power (as one of the primaries).

Larger #'s aren't always better people. Why are americans so obsessed with that? Education! Its not just for nerds!

Yeah I don't know why American are obsessed with that. Damn SUVs and Hummers all over the place now...

I'm still trying to figure out why most Americans choose Automatic Transmissions. In Europe they'll throw you in jail if you don't know how to drive stick. ;)

crossbow said:
Remember too high an octane has negative side effects...including loss of power (as one of the primaries).

Larger #'s aren't always better people. Why are americans so obsessed with that? Education! Its not just for nerds!

my 6 is my first mtx car, and I'm never buying another car that isn't stick.

seanmcsean said:
Same here, but I love at least once a week, driving the Mazda 3 that we have, it's a GT tiptronic. And I am telling you it is fun slapping that thing around a corner. But ever since I got my Mazda 6, I dont think I can ever go back to Auto trannies. MTX's rock (rockon)

i didn't have that much of a choice... i got the Sports A/T, just incase my parents had to use the car...

no complaints... its a car... and i'm not paying?

seanmcsean said:
I'm still getting used to mine as it is my first stick car as well and I havne't driven it much. Today's the first day i drove it to work. I'm still stalling at hills, turns and in rolling stop n' go. I think it's mainly cuz I'm getting nervous about hitting the car behind me. I often will just peel out instead of stalling (drive)

Just a heads up, I switched to 89 octane just a week and a half ago, and I am noticing better fuel consumption, I have not changed the style of my driving. For the 3 pennies extra per liter, it's worth it, end up saving a few bux per tank and poluting the enviroment a lil less.

I'm still averaging only 20mpg because I do mostly uphill city driving, but its even worse when I put 87 in.

Here's an excellent article (posted on 6club in the EXACT same thread) by USA today which details the myth's, falacies, and general misconceptions of the american public on octane, and their utter obscession with thinking higher = better/faster/cleaner/better mileage.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-0...remiumgas_x.htm

In an 87 octane car, if you throw in a higher octane (and its stock), your ADDING to the deposits, not subtracting them.

I do a combination of city (20-35mph) and fast city (40-50mph) driving and I'm not even at 900 miles on the odo and I'm getting around 27mpg. As we all know cars do not get good mileage until they are broken in around 5-10k miles. Given that, I think the above is pretty good. I use regular gasoline and would only use higher octane fuel is the owner's manual required or recommended it.

yeah, I've got 6k miles on mine and I'm still getting garbage mileage.. I do a lot of uphill stop and go though, which probably has something to do with it. I'm gonna see what happens when I switch back to 87 though.. that article crossbow found scared the bejesus out of me.

edit: crossbow, where is silver springs MD? how far is that from the philly area?

Do note that any of my statements regarding using 87 octane ONLY apply to unmodifed (engine wise) Mazda 6's.

If you start running an intake that throws lean cel's, you may have to run 89 octane to help prevent possible pinging while cruising or at low rpm's.

Around the city I'd generally get around 18-20 with the 6s ATX. You'll get 16 if your heavy on the throttle. Past 4500 rpm the car is just dumping fuel into the engine.

CrazyXZac said:
i get some bad gas milage... i'll calucalte it next time i fill up the tank... and currently i put 87'
You my friend have the v6 engine and even on the sticker the mileage sucked. I would expect real world mileage, esp. on a car with just a few miles on it to be abysmal. Around 10K miles start worrying about mileage.

crossbow said:
Past 4500 rpm the car is just dumping fuel into the engine.
as slow as my car is I really don't beleve it's even going into the engine :( almost as if there's a bypass tube leading to the header.

Back