gas type on the 6s ~ 87 or 89?

well, after running two tanks of 87 through my car, I didn't really notice any difference besides different fuel economy.. I got 30.2mpg doing mostly fast highway miles (70-80mph) which is pretty incredible.. I'm not complaining.

right now, i fill 87, but ONLY from BP or Mobil... and that is as expesive as gettin' 89 from other normal gas stations... so i might fill up 89 in the next tank and see...

After late unfortunate incident (Engine Blown) I'm hopoing for a better MPG friendly one in place of it :) Wish me luck!

Always 87 for me. Usually they recommend premium fuel if it is at all necessary and in the case of this car it is not recommended. I am not an expert but why not just do what the manual says of you care about your pocketbook at all.

Quick FYI: If you have a Speedway/SuperAmerica gas station near you, find out what type of gas they get. Different locations get different brands of gas. Many actually get Marathon or Shell gas, but sell the gas up to $.10 less per gallon.

seanmcsean said:
how the hell did you blow your engine
suposedly it may have fell under a 03 recall. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Warmed it up and drove in auto mode. climbing a hill I just made it to the top when it blew and I coasted down the hill. With oil light on a cloud of smoke and strong smell of 0W-20 coating a hot engine, tranny, and heat shield I got out and poped the hood to see oil everywhere and engine fragments in under carrage splash guard. Back to basics no mods and break in period all over again. engine should arrive early this moring sometime but who knows how long it will take for them to clean up and install it. The thing that pissed me off the most is the car is soo sensitive to cels but not even one misfire code when pistons punch holes thru engine?

Garfinkle said:
Always 87 for me. Usually they recommend premium fuel if it is at all necessary and in the case of this car it is not recommended. I am not an expert but why not just do what the manual says of you care about your pocketbook at all.
Yeah why pay for food that tastes better if you have no sense of smell. Why spend more on trash bags that you plan on throwing away. 87 is us spec. If you get ahold of a jdm spec vehicle then 91 would be practical.

Last edited:
yeah gas is gas i usually use 89 but i got the cp-e intake combo, very nice combo if i might add, but yeah 87 is probley the way to go stock no matter what, i used to say premeium but its a waste of money unless you are a balla and have no spending limits

crossbow said:
Do note that any of my statements regarding using 87 octane ONLY apply to unmodifed (engine wise) Mazda 6's.

If you start running an intake that throws lean cel's, you may have to run 89 octane to help prevent possible pinging while cruising or at low rpm's.

wait im getting an intake for my 3 am i gonna have to go to 89. or just the 6

they said the same thing in 3 section minus the CP-e part...

Back