Gas in oil?

:
Former 2013 CX-5 GT owner
I just checked my oil and it smells like gas. Can someone please check your oil and tell me if it has a gassy smell? For your own good, and mine. Fortunately I have an appointment set up with mazda on saturday to just check that everything is ok. Something my dealer apparently does for every new car sale. I will certainly be mentioning this. Hope its some sort of additive for new engines. But if not this could be very very bad. Or maybe it's even normal for before the first change since the rings aren't perfectly aligned with the walls yet?
I will compare the smell to my wifes 07 mazda 3 later when she gets home. Maybe my smeller is just off tonight.

Last edited:
its what happens when fuel washes past the ring lands. The cx-5 uses a direct injection motor that runs some extremely high fuel pressure i don't know if its normal but to me it seems like it could be possible.

Yeah I agree. Searching around it seems that it is more prone to low compression vehicles. Which seems counter intuitive to me.

My Mazda CX7 with a DI engine has a gas smell in the oil all the time but, several UOAs have demonstrated that it is not effecting the wear values. Gasoline is extremely aromatic and even a teaspoon of fuel in a gallon of oil smells strong. Ed

Since your in Canada and so am I, perhaps your old enough to remember this or know this. Not that its winter, but it used to be in the cold of winter on some cars, you would press the gas pedal to open the choke or add a little gas to assist in the starting of the car in the cold of winter. How ever, doing this to much in trying to start the car would eventually lead to the flooding of the engine and thus requiring an oil change.

I doubt you flooded your engine at this time of year, but perhaps something needs adjusting?

Just to update, mazda says everything is fine but didnt have an explaination for the smell. I did pop the hood of the cx in the showroom though and it smelled exactly the same so that was a relief. I guess its from additives from the factory. But it certainly doesnt smell like regular oil. I imagine it will be gone for good at my first oil change.

I have 6000 miles on mine and the dipstick has a slight gas odor but the oil is at correct level...

After reading this post I smelled my oil and it had the same gas smell. I wonder if it has anything to do with the 0W20 oil? This is my first experience with such an oil.

It may be break-in additives, has anyone changed their oil and given it a smell after a few miles?

I just checked my oil and it smells like gas. Can someone please check your oil and tell me if it has a gassy smell? For your own good, and mine. Fortunately I have an appointment set up with mazda on saturday to just check that everything is ok. Something my dealer apparently does for every new car sale. I will certainly be mentioning this. Hope its some sort of additive for new engines. But if not this could be very very bad. Or maybe it's even normal for before the first change since the rings aren't perfectly aligned with the walls yet?
I will compare the smell to my wifes 07 mazda 3 later when she gets home. Maybe my smeller is just off tonight.
Is your engine a turbo. I am completely inept with respect to mechanics but I passed on a Honda CRV because of known issues with their turbo engines having gas in the oil. There was a class action suit for 2016-2017? and the problem is allegedly no longer an issue. It had something to do with owners in cold weather states

Is your engine a turbo. I am completely inept with respect to mechanics but I passed on a Honda CRV because of known issues with their turbo engines having gas in the oil. There was a class action suit for 2016-2017? and the problem is allegedly no longer an issue. It had something to do with owners in cold weather states

That post is from 2012. :)

usual d.i symptom but the amount of gas that stays in the oil is mainly determined by the driving habits short vs long trips.driving long highway distances will make the gas evaporate from the oil.

I've found it impossible to tell whether there is 0.1 or 0.5% of fuel in my oil by smell since only a few teas spoons of fuel smells strong to me. Get a UOA to make the determination. Ed

Back