FYI: Check under your engine cover and spark coil cables !!!

:
'14.5 CX-5 Touring AWD, Soul Red | '14 CX-5 Touring AWD White
My 2 CX-5's have same defects - engine covers in both have torn and spilled some sort of insulating white material all over engine bay.

Also, both cars have melted one of the insulators around coil cables in the same spot. I have 2014 and 2014.5 (late) models.

Please check yours! I thing there might be more affected as mine were months apart in production.

Dealer appointment has been scheduled to check this.

Just FYI

Do you have pictures of what's going on? I'd to see what exactly I'm looking for.

My 2 CX-5's have same defects - engine covers in both have torn and spilled some sort of insulating white material all over engine bay.

Calm down Gova. The engine cover itself probably didn't tear - they are made of some very tough plastic. What you probably mean is that the insulating material on the underside is damaged. I suspect this could happen if mice tried to make a nest in there some chilly night when your engine bay was the warmest and most inviting place around. Alternatively, it could have been a careless and ham-fisted attempt to re-install the cover. In any case, loose insulation in the engine bay is very bad as it can cause hot spots to build up and melt wires/etc. The engine bay is designed to have air circulate under the engine cover.

I don't see evidence of a manufacturing defect.

Calm down Gova. The engine cover itself probably didn't tear - they are made of some very tough plastic. What you probably mean is that the insulating material on the underside is damaged. I suspect this could happen if mice tried to make a nest in there some chilly night when your engine bay was the warmest and most inviting place around. Alternatively, it could have been a careless and ham-fisted attempt to re-install the cover. In any case, loose insulation in the engine bay is very bad as it can cause hot spots to build up and melt wires/etc. The engine bay is designed to have air circulate under the engine cover.

I don't see evidence of a manufacturing defect.

You might be 100% correct. BUT, 2 different cars exhibit same form of damage to both the cover/insulating material and SAME cable (2nd from left).

I'd have to be quite peculiar rodent to choose that wisely.

Will do pics soon.

Gova - what MikeM. forgot to say was "thanks for bringing this possible problem to our attention, let us know what the dealer says and when you have a chance - please post up those photos for us to see. Again, thanks for bringing this to our attention....that was very nice of you. Keep us in the loop."

:)

Gova - what MikeM. forgot to say was "thanks for bringing this possible problem to our attention, let us know what the dealer says and when you have a chance - please post up those photos for us to see. Again, thanks for bringing this to our attention....that was very nice of you. Keep us in the loop."

DBLXX, thank-you so very much for reminding me. I am so thank-full for helping out old forgetful me. You are the greatest! Thank-you and God bless! (whistle)

No problem my friend. We all need to be reminded that kindness is important in this life.

Consider this a free one.

I don't believe in god but I tell myself I am the greatest all the time :)

stuart-smalley-good-enough.jpg

Wish there was a LIKE button.

I had the same issue with my 2006 Miata. Mice would nest in there in the fall and when covered for the winter. I'd find nuts, twigs, and leaves in between spark plugs/coils.

In the fall I'd just take off the engine cover when parking for the night. During winter hibernation I'd do the same and also set several mouse traps in the engine compartment. Always caught several critters when checked once a month.

I had the same issue with my 2006 Miata. Mice would nest in there in the fall and when covered for the winter. I'd find nuts, twigs, and leaves in between spark plugs/coils.

In the fall I'd just take off the engine cover when parking for the night. During winter hibernation I'd do the same and also set several mouse traps in the engine compartment. Always caught several critters when checked once a month.

My friend had a small family of mice living in his compact Toyota truck. When he stopped at 7-11 or a fast food place he would see them scamper out and collect spilled food in the parking lot (popcorn, fries, etc.) then, when he returned to leave, he would see them climb back up the tires and into their nest between two body panels.

He thought it was funny.

The mice like our Volvo S80. Every fall they make a mess on top of the engine. My wife started spraying the problem areas with a natural pepper spray found in the garden section of some hardware stores and sold as insect repellant. It works well but needs to be re-applied every couple of months.

Back