Fuel tank capacity and Fuel guage accuracy?

seev.1

:
cx5 2015
hi folks,

I have a 2016.5 Cx5 GT FWD bought in US and i am wondering about the fuel tank capacity and the accuracy of the fuel guage. Today, the fuel indicator showed pretty close to "E", yellow light on and the trip meter showed 0 miles left--i was worried if i will reach the gas station. But when i filled gas, i could only put in 12.3 gallons. The fuel tank capacity is 14.8 Gallon so there is 1 gallon+ still in the tank but why are the gauges showing i have none...

anyone else experienced similar? With how many gallons left does the yellow light turn ON?

TIA..

Your observation is normal. You can use this experience as a guideline for your next and later fill-ups. Someone did a test a while ago, and he drove almost 50 more miles until the engine died after the computer showed 0 mile left. It's a common practice for car manufactures making the fuel gauge and trip computer showing nothing left but in fact you may still have 1~2 gallons of usable gas in the tank.

The range function is dependant on how you drive. If you spend only a few seconds of driving under heavy acceleration, it has to predict short range. The low fuel light is probably the most predictable device as long as you ignore the effect of steep hills. If you note the mileage when it comes on you can then calculate a rough mileage to empty.

These gauges are only a guide and the trip computer is only a toy.

hi folks,

I have a 2016.5 Cx5 GT FWD bought in US and i am wondering about the fuel tank capacity and the accuracy of the fuel guage. Today, the fuel indicator showed pretty close to "E", yellow light on and the trip meter showed 0 miles left--i was worried if i will reach the gas station. But when i filled gas, i could only put in 12.3 gallons. The fuel tank capacity is 14.8 Gallon so there is 1 gallon+ still in the tank but why are the gauges showing i have none...

anyone else experienced similar? With how many gallons left does the yellow light turn ON?

TIA..

Mazda designed the system to be overcautious and prevent people from being stranded, becoming a hazard, or damaging the vehicle by running out of gas.

The LOW FUEL warning light will come on with the RANGE at 30 miles or approx. ~3 US gallons left.

The RANGE will hit "0" miles at about ~2 gallons left in the tank.

Theoretically after reaching "0" on the RANGE, you could drive another 25-50 miles on level ground depending on your MPG. This is not recommended.

Last edited:
I just follow Mazdas recommendation to refuel at ~ 1/4 tank. That way I don't need to overthink these important life events. :))

Usually car manufacturer leave like 1 or 2 gallon when you hit E. Last tank i fill up with 5 miles left and i hit 13.6g after fuel up

Latest posts

Back