Fuel additives

speedtrader

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport MT
Since I don't always use 'top tier' fuel, I've developed the habit of putting in a bottle of fuel system cleaner at every oil change with all my cars. I'm not sure if it actually helps but it's never hurt. I've never had fuel system, emissions or loss of performance issues.

My first oil change is fast approaching. The CX-5 owners manual states, "Never add fuel system additives. Otherwise, the emission control system could be damaged." - pg 3-21. If it really can damage the emission control system, shouldn't they also warn people to not fill up at stations like Chevron since they add Techron in their fuel? What do ya'll think? Should I put in a bottle or should I follow the manual?

My preference and practice is to follow the recommendations of Mazda and use only Chevron gasoline (top tier fuel) exclusively.

The additives have different ingredients and different dosages than what's included in a typical tankful of top tier gasoline. Not worth the bother or slight chance of warranty issue.

Mazda makes a statement like this because they do not know what type of additive you are putting in the car. There are octane booster additives on the market that are lead based. That is definitely a no-no for any car with a catalytic converter.

i may sound like a retard here but will putting 93 octane in do any damage since its recommended at 87??? Curious from CX-SV's comment on using chevron top tier fuel...

i may sound like a retard here but will putting 93 octane in do any damage since its recommended at 87??? Curious from CX-SV's comment on using chevron top tier fuel...

You can use higher octane without problems, using lower octane can lead to detonation.

btw, Yes I use Chevron regular 87 octane gasoline exclusively, it's top tier gasoline. I'm not paying extra for premium for no good reason.

Goggle TOP TIER gas and note what is offered in your area. I use top tier in 3 out of 4 tanks in any of my vehicles. Is see no reason to us 93 octane fuel in any engine designed specifically for 87 octane. The word TOP TIER has to do with the cleaning additives and little to do with the Octane rating. Ed

Techron (from a bottle) wouldn't be beneficial unless you've got at least 30,000 miles or higher on the odometer OR use really really crappy gas. There's almost 30 top tier retailers in the US http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html to choose from. Think about it. Crappy gas plus a bottle of Techron OR Top tier gas with additives/detergents already included. You drive a stick so I know you like responsiveness. Regardless your of choice for Techron in a bottle or not- don't buy crappy gas for starters.

Regarding top tier gasoline and octane levels per above:

"Is TT only for my premium gasoline?
No. TOP TIER fuel marketers use the same detergency treat rate for all octane grades of gasoline sold at their stations."

BTW, concerning adding those bottles to a tank of gas. Up north here where we get below freezing temperatures, there are bottles of additives you can add to a tank of gas to help push moisture through the system so that you hopefully won't have it freeze in the gas line causing trouble starting your car. I would assume that putting an additive in occasionally to help remove moisture would be good, no matter where you lived?

Back