Frontend Squeak/problem

kfcuno

:
2003MSP
I drive a 03.7 msp and live in michigan.
It seems that as it is getting colder my car is making alot more squeaking noises but mostly when i go over bumps. my wheels stay on the ground and the front end of my car rises up because its light and it sounds like the shocks are going to come off the frontend. I am not sure if the shocks are just cold or what is the problem. Im not hearing it during the summer which leads me to believe it is a weather issue. Has anyone ever experenced a problem like this? Is it bad for my speed please help.

hukster00 said:
Its probably the bushings needs to be lubed up take it to the dealer they will fix it for you.

Is it an easy job to just lube them? i looked at where the bushings are and it seems like you have to drop the subframe or something just to get them off to lube them. i guess it's good if you are under warranty.

There's a TSB, I believe, where the regular ones get replaced by ones that have a teflon coated inserts to cut down in the noise. I think that with a little patience and the right tools it won't need the subframe to be moved at all. Run a search on the front sway bar and there's a ton of info.

hukster00 said:
Its probably the bushings needs to be lubed up take it to the dealer they will fix it for you.

now if i take it to the dealer and they see my mods will my warrenty be gone fore sure?

Put the "A" series front bushings in today... Took about an hour and half from getting the tools together to putting them away. I used a small 14mm crescent and a ratcheting crescent to get the job done. P'Blaster helped a bit, too. The only other thing that I had to remove to get the bushings back on was the bottom half of the endlinks. I put a ton of high temp grease on them, though it'll probably be completely gone in a month. It's ridiculous how soft the rubber in the bushings are. Too bad I haven't been able to find any polyurethane re-greaseable 27mm ones. :-(

They'l eventually squeak too, all PU bushings will - but with the zerks a squeak fix is 2 squirts-of-the-grease-gun away. I have those on the back with the original Micaspeed rear suspension bushing relocator kit, and I'm lubing them about every 2-3 months. It's a 45 second job with no jackstands on the rear. Depending on how long your arms are you may be able to zerk-grease them from the topside on the front.

The ones I ordered are re-greaseable. I got the black polyurethane from ES. Supposedly those also have a little grease in the bushings, similar to the bronze oil ones that corksposrt has, just not ... bronze

Puckpimp, which ones did you order? I can't figure out the difference between the two links you posted and neither description mentions anything about a teflon sleeve in them to reduce noise. Thanks

thanks, I'll be waiting to see how they work out for you as I need to do something about my creeks

FYI, looks like you can get at the bushings by putting the front on jackstands and removing the wheels - just reach in (may have to turn the steering wheel).

I'm having a lot of trouble picturing this. Could anyone help out with some pics with some arrows pointing to the area in question?

ping said:
FYI, looks like you can get at the bushings by putting the front on jackstands and removing the wheels - just reach in (may have to turn the steering wheel).
I didn't even take the wheels off. I just turned to the right all the way to get to the left side and to the right all the way to get to the left. A ratcheting 14mm crescent wrench and some P'Blaster was basically all I needed.

bump for help on the area of concern.

Can anyone help me pinpoint where the problem area lies with a photo? It's getting a lot louder with the colder weather, and I don't feel like muddling around with the dealership.

Pretty please?...

If you get under your car, you'll see a big red bar connecting to your wheels. The bushings closest to the firewall are the culprit. They're held down by a u-shaped bracket. By the way, the link I posted before = too big for our car.

Puck, thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear these were to big. I am interested if you find ones that are the right size so please let us know if you do.

I think I nailed the right size, but I'm going to double check everything when I have time off of work and I can get under my car. I'll let you know.

Back