• Welcome to Mazdas247, the 24/7 Mazda Community and Resource. Learn about the benefits of becoming a Member here.
  • We're an Amazon Associate and eBay Partner. We earn from qualifying purchases.

Front suspension work - What to replace?

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
That's a grease nipple. You need a grease gun to pump the grease in.

You can get one for about $25 or maybe a friend or a trip to a shop for a few squirts of grease.

I'm pretty sure you use chassis grease but I just use whatever grease I have.

It sucks to buy a grease gun and grease for just two end links.
I bought a grease needle for my grease gun so I can fill all my rubber boots with grease so there is no place for water to go and it keeps things from rusting.

You poke the needle through the boot and pump in the grease.

This is helpful, thank you. I had seen that those things existed and I figured it was likely what I needed. I see Harbor Freight has grease guns and grease so that should be suitable.

I'll post up when I get things installed and working.

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
They've closed all the hardware stores here in Ontario but we can order things online or over the phone and they have curbside pickup.

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
They've closed all the hardware stores here in Ontario but we can order things online or over the phone and they have curbside pickup.
My local Harbor Freight in the states is still open. I had to go there to grab some calipers for school and it was actually quite busy. I'm trying to stay home as much as I can of course.

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
If you have a Harbor Freight near you, this is what I got.
And used this.
Problem is now I have a grease gun full of grease and nowhere to store it lol.
Edit: I didn't see your previous post, whoops.

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
If you have a Harbor Freight near you, this is what I got.
And used this.
Problem is now I have a grease gun full of grease and nowhere to store it lol.
Good good, I have a Harbor Freight near me and that was the grease gun i was looking at specifically. Harbor Freight also carries a similar tube of grease for about $5 as well, so i'll probably grab that so I don't have to go anywhere else. I'm such a sucker for cheap Chinese made junk, but if it works it works. My question is 'where am I gonna use the rest of the tube of grease after i'm done with the end links??' I've forgotten if the LCAs I ordered are grease-able.

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
Easy! Just buy another car.
I've got a Jeep that's probably in need of some grease.
Well Dang! That's it!

It's actually kind of a shame. A clean Mazdaspeed Protege with a blown motor recently came up for sale and sold. It was listed for pretty cheap and was just a few minutes away. It had some really nice aftermarket wheels, some nice interior modifications, an aftermarket exhaust and a roof rack. Really wish I had the money and space to buy it and put a motor in it or swap the turbo kit over to my car. Oh well, maybe some day.

IMG_20200105_083856138.jpg

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I tried to buy my friends 02 protege for the entire year in between selling my P5 and buying it back lol.
He says the CEL comes on every time he hits a bump :LOL:

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
... My question is 'where am I gonna use the rest of the tube of grease after i'm done with the end links??' I've forgotten if the LCAs I ordered are grease-able.
That's where I use the grease needle.
My LCA's aren't greaseable so I poke the needle through the boot and fill it until the grease oozes out the sides.
My ball joint boots are packed with grease.

The hole from the needle closes back up on itself and doesn't let water in.

i12drivemyMP5

___ 323F ___
Contributor
Those strut "bearings" on top of the fronts are just a nylon or delrin disc inside a cap with a bit of grease, Cleaned mine out and dabbed a bit of Mobil1 syn axel grease in them and didn't use the new ones I bought because they were aftermarket and weren't as smooth as the oem ones cleaned up.