Front end noise ?

Tonys3

:
2004 Mazda 3s
I get a slight squeek sound....kinda like a rubber against rubber sound when i am turning the steering wheel at slow speeds, (pulling into a parking space,turning around) Is that normal? Thanks...

haven't noticed it on my end. is it that loud that people would notice it from outside the car?

Noise, what noise?

I play my radio to damm loud I don't hear s***. I use to hear my doors rattle from the bass but I brought it to the dealer and the kid pulled all my door panels and tightened every nut, bolt and screw. Now, no rattles (attn)

Tonys3 said:
I get a slight squeek sound....kinda like a rubber against rubber sound when i am turning the steering wheel at slow speeds, (pulling into a parking space,turning around) Is that normal? Thanks...

Yeah I think I hear the same thing. I hear it if I'm pulling into a parking space w/music off. I wasn't sure if it was normal or not for this car and was going to ask the dealer if I go get the oil changed.

I have this too, I always asumed it was the power steering doing its thing. I am not concerned because it has been like this since I bought it last month. I guess I will ask about it when I get the oil changed.

Loose said:
I play my radio to damm loud I don't hear s***. I use to hear my doors rattle from the bass but I brought it to the dealer and the kid pulled all my door panels and tightened every nut, bolt and screw. Now, no rattles (attn)
You forgot the "Loose" nut behind the wheel :)

for those who have the squeak....are they 17's? and has the dealership checked them to see if they're bent? My 16's are already bent up and took 2 days of service and mysterious alignment attempts to realize it...and 1 second to to rule the cause of why they are bent...

Last edited:
buddy's Mustang does this.. forgot what he said it was, but he gets it greased up every now and then... i will have to ask unless someone here pounds on the issue...

I thought I hear the same thing the other day. I was pulling into a parking spot (left turn) and just before the vechicle came to a stop I heard a noise from the front end. I'm not sure but it almost sounded like a snapping noise.

lumpy said:
I thought I hear the same thing the other day. I was pulling into a parking spot (left turn) and just before the vechicle came to a stop I heard a noise from the front end. I'm not sure but it almost sounded like a snapping noise.
funny thing you mention that...the tech mentioned that on my "take me on a drive to show me what you are talking about"... maybe it's relivent?

What I have is definitely not a sudden or at once noise, and especially not a snapping noise. It is more evenly constant throughout a turn at low to zero speed, which is why I am thinking it is the p.s.

3junky said:
What I have is definitely not a sudden or at once noise, and especially not a poping noise. It is more evenly constant throughout a turn at low to zero speed, which is why I am thinking it is the p.s.

Yeah I think that describes mine to as well as what Tonys3 said to. I haven't noticed any popping or snapping sound.

Since it was asked earlier yes I have 17s.

Tonys3 said:

It's 100% normal if you have your steering wheel fully to the left or right, that's the power steering making the sound, and BY THE WAY, if you do not know this already, never hold your steering wheel full left or full right for more than 5 seconds at a time, it will destroy the power steering.

Mikey444 said:
It's 100% normal if you have your steering wheel fully to the left or right, that's the power steering making the sound, and BY THE WAY, if you do not know this already, never hold your steering wheel full left or full right for more than 5 seconds at a time, it will destroy the power steering.

Well... destroy is pretty harsh. It's not good for it but it's not going to break anything unless you do it ALL the time.

goldwing2000 said:
Well... destroy is pretty harsh. It's not good for it but it's not going to break anything unless you do it ALL the time.

Aight maybe not destroy, but the power steering will end up not workng anymore = damaged = need to be fixed, replace parts = which to me would mean pretty much destroyed

Mikey444 said:
Aight maybe not destroy, but the power steering will end up not workng anymore = damaged = need to be fixed, replace parts = which to me would mean pretty much destroyed
same effect with 20 inch chrome spreewells

whee! Hydromechanical power steering

The high pitched whine is the sound of an electric motor turning the hydraulic steering pump (I probably got the terminoligy all messed up... thanks for bearing with me). That's why it sounds like a smaller version of a trash compactor or a dumptruck tipping the bed back.

The 3 doesn't have a belt driven power steering pump, so it's not a belt squeaking (which is probably what ZiO is describing on his friends mustang) which is the normal "what the hell is that loud squeaking when I turn the wheel" on other cars.

Instead, the 3 opted to use an electric motor provide the power for the power steering. That's why there is a special idiot light to say "the power steering system seems fine today". It's probably a reduced system of the hydromechanical (I /think/ that's what the dealer called it) power steering used on the RX-8... which is actually smart enough to reduce assistance when you're driving at high speeds (so you feel the road more) and has "shock correction" providing a kick to help you straighten out the wheel if you hit a pothole or some other road blemish (this is what I recall from ogling online RX-8 brochures). I don't think we mazda 3 owners get the intelligence of the RX-8's system... but by removing the pump from the belt drive, there is no belt squeaking, and there is better mileage and power as it's one less thing attatched to the engine. Not to mention the power steering fluid tank isn't hidden away next to the engine somewhere.

It's kinda fun to play with: Park the car, turn the stereo off and roll down your window, and then move the wheel a half turn to either side... back and forth.... you can hear the little pump revving up and switching direction.

Hopefully, this isn't going to be one of the fancy new components that manages to fail right after the warranty runs out...

Last edited:
PeteyBoy3K said:
It's kinda fun to play with: Park the car, turn the stereo off and roll down your window, and then move the wheel a half turn to either side... back and forth.... you can hear the little pump revving up and switching direction.

I actually kind of like that sound for some reason, makes my car feel like an airplne

Last edited by a moderator:
My car was making a sort of a chirpping noise but not just when i was turning and it happened mostly at low rpm's, the dealer said they couldn't hear it at first so i had to go duplicate them, when they heard it they said it was a normal sound so i asked them to show me a couple other 3's that made the same sound, when it came down to it they decided to replace the transmission and it fixed the problem

disreguard my 1st post...got more info....not a recall yet but on hard left turns and certain speeds the edge of the pads come in contact with the rotor causing a squeel...dealer fix was trim edges down on pads. Not shure if you guys (Mz3) have that same exact issue but would be a nice idea to pass along on your next visit.

Okay, I am not sure I have the same issue, but no sooner than I create a new thread, someone will bark "use the search button." So anyways, I have had this noise from the front of my mazda3 sedan and transmitted sensation through the accelerator pedal for quite some time now. It sounds and feels just like a spring loaded mechanism being released from tension. It only happens right after I start up my vehicle and get going for a a couple hundred feet. I always feel it right before leaving a parking lot usually in about first or second gear (manua trans.l).

Does anyone know what this might be? Throttle/idle sticking? Suspension issues? Much thanks in advance.

Back