From RDX to CX-5

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
New member here. I recently traded in a 2013 Acura RDX for a 2019 CX-5 Signature. I initially was considering the new 2019 RDX till I saw and test drove one. The drivability and performance was fine but being a minimalistic type of person I did not care for the over the top design of both the exterior (way to many panel creases and chrome) and interior (space age centre console). Looked at but did not really consider any other crossovers thus my purchase of a Mazda CX-5.

Really like the CX-5 simple and elegant design of both the exterior and interior. The fit and finish and material quality is excellent. I am still in the break-in process but so far Im quite pleased with the performance, handling and quietness of the interior. The safety features are another bonus as is the HUD and the LED headlights which are suprisingly much brighter than the HID were in the RDX.

That being said, a few early minor nitpicks:

1. Seat comfort. Hope it gets better because the seat is nowhere as comfy as the ones that I had in my last two vehicles. Acura TSX and RDX.

2. Instrument cluster brightness settings. For some reason there is no graduate settings, its either dim or extremely bright. If on the dim position then the backup camera brightness is also quite dim. Weird.

3. Tight interior storage. Good thing we dont have a lot of junk to store.

4. Apple CarPlay. The icons and font in the music window are ridiculously big. Not a Mazda problem, but what were the Apple designers thinking?

5. Album covers are a hit and miss while playing music using bluetooth for some reason. Did not have this problem in the RDX.

6. Major nitpick goes to Mazda Canada tightwads for excluding a 360 Camera, Parking Sensors and rear SG Badge in the Canadian Signature Edition.

New member here.

6. Major nitpick goes to Mazda Canada tightwads for excluding a 360 Camera, Parking Sensors and rear SG Badge in the Canadian Signature Edition.

Welcome, Rob!

If the US version of the Signature didn't include the 360 camera and front/rear parking sensors, I probably would have gotten the GT-Reserve trim.

Last edited:
I graduated from a Gen 1 2008 RDX to the 2019 Signature. I found the 2019 just too big (about 8" longer than the Mazda and original RDX) and too busy with push button controls and too much exterior bling.

I personally find the seats comfortable and the Signature nappa leather seats more comfortable and luxurious than the GT.

I have another thread going on my similar complaints about Mazda Canada's cheapness. Ironically, the Canadian 2019 RDX has features the US one doesn't.

Back