From 2014 CX-5 to new 2019 CX-5... what a difference 1/2 a decade makes!

:
2014 & 2019 CX-5 Touring(s)
Back on this forum from a long time away, because we just bought a new 2019 CX-5 AWD Touring (Yay!). I'm amazed at what a difference 5 years hath wrought compared to our 2014 FWD Touring (which we are keeping, by the way :) ). We paid about $26500 for our 2014 (incl taxes and tags and fees) vs. $28700 for the 2019 incl the same T,T&F. That extra $2200 included AWD this time, as well as the Touring package, and given the inflation from being 5 years later, it works out less real cost than the 2014 car! In addition, it bought us a host of improvements (with the last four coming from the Touring package)...

- AWD (obviously)
- Quieter and more solid feeling
- Overall better radio w/Android Auto & Apple Carplay
- Nicer interior w/fancier seat coverings and better storage
- Radar Cruise control
- Auto headlights
- Auto wipers
- Heated seats
- Advanced keyless entry system
- VERY good LED headlights with many other lights now LED too
- Dual-zone auto climate control w/rear vents
- Rear cross traffic alert
- Lane departure warning & lane keep assist
- Smart brake support

- Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink
- Bose 10-speaker audio sound system with Centerpoint 2 and AudioPilot 2
- Power sliding glass moonroof with one-touch-open feature and interior sunshade
- Rear Power Liftgate with programmable height adjustment

Yep. All of that and five years for just $2200.

The standard equipment is even more than was available on the GT car for 2014. Amazing. Very happy with our purchase!

Even so, I've already replaced some of the remaining incandescent bulbs with LEDs (tailgate and rear brakes/turns). Thinking of adding parking sensors and some other mods as time permits. Plus I performed the radio hacks (Mazda AIO) which was WELL worth my time and effort! (why did Mazda disable the touch screen while driving? My old car ONLY has touch screen. WTF?)

Nice to see the forum is still doing well. I'll be reading more of the DIY and mod threads when I can. Thanks to all for keeping the flame burning...

-RedBaron

That is impressive. Did you get a substantial discount off the invoice list?

Just the sunroof AWD are worth more than 2200.

Congrats. All those incentives can really make a difference (Loyalty, Purchase Cash). I just got the 1st lease payment waiver because I did a lease and this is my first Mazda.

How about some details on the radio hack? I've seen the website, but it seems pretty involved.

Hey, RedBaron is back!! I was wondering what happened to you.
Congrats to the new car.

That is impressive. Did you get a substantial discount off the invoice list?

Just the sunroof AWD are worth more than 2200.

Yes, agreed! First I did a quote from the salesman based on their "online/internet price" then I thought I'd try TrueCar and that worked out about $700 cheaper, so I went with that :)

So for those interested, details were: $30435 MSRP (incl Touring package), minus $2313 TrueCar/dealer discount, minus $1750 Mazda cashback and loyalty = $26372. Then taxes/tags/fees brought it back to the $28.7K

How about some details on the radio hack? I've seen the website, but it seems pretty involved.

Yes, it IS pretty involved and took a lot of trial and error - first to get the serial interface/root bit working, then to understand how the different hack choices work and get them installed. All in all it took several hours of going out to the car, trying stuff, back inside, back out etc. Uggh. But it works now and has several cool features in addition to just enabling the touch screen (which is all I wanted initially :))

Hey, RedBaron is back!! I was wondering what happened to you.
Congrats to the new car.

Thanks tibimakai!

Back on this forum from a long time away, because we just bought a new 2019 CX-5 AWD Touring (Yay!). I'm amazed at what a difference 5 years hath wrought compared to our 2014 FWD Touring (which we are keeping, by the way :) ). We paid about $26500 for our 2014 (incl taxes and tags and fees) vs. $28700 for the 2019 incl the same T,T&F. That extra $2200 included AWD this time, as well as the Touring package, and given the inflation from being 5 years later, it works out less real cost than the 2014 car! In addition, it bought us a host of improvements (with the last four coming from the Touring package)...

- AWD (obviously)
- Quieter and more solid feeling
- Overall better radio w/Android Auto & Apple Carplay
- Nicer interior w/fancier seat coverings and better storage
- Radar Cruise control
- Auto headlights
- Auto wipers
- Heated seats
- Advanced keyless entry system
- VERY good LED headlights with many other lights now LED too
- Dual-zone auto climate control w/rear vents
- Rear cross traffic alert
- Lane departure warning & lane keep assist
- Smart brake support

- Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink
- Bose 10-speaker audio sound system with Centerpoint 2 and AudioPilot 2
- Power sliding glass moonroof with one-touch-open feature and interior sunshade
- Rear Power Liftgate with programmable height adjustment

Yep. All of that and five years for just $2200.

The standard equipment is even more than was available on the GT car for 2014. Amazing. Very happy with our purchase!

Even so, I've already replaced some of the remaining incandescent bulbs with LEDs (tailgate and rear brakes/turns). Thinking of adding parking sensors and some other mods as time permits. Plus I performed the radio hacks (Mazda AIO) which was WELL worth my time and effort! (why did Mazda disable the touch screen while driving? My old car ONLY has touch screen. WTF?)

Nice to see the forum is still doing well. I'll be reading more of the DIY and mod threads when I can. Thanks to all for keeping the flame burning...

-RedBaron

Ive said this all along. Cars are improving WAY FASTER than inflation. A Mustang GT from the 60's cost (back then) within a few thousand of what one today costs, in today's dollars.

Back