• Welcome to Mazdas247, the 24/7 Mazda Community and Resource. Learn about the benefits of becoming a Member here.
  • We're an Amazon Associate and eBay Partner. We earn from qualifying purchases.

Fresh Sweet Donuts Everywhere! (work log)

323

lolmsp lolms3
Got time for a quick update. Goal was to set the mbc to 10psi but after numerous tries, I got it to about 9.5psi. The afr's are a little leaner than I'd like in 3rd gear (higher load resulting in more air) but the afr's in 2nd gear are perfect.

2nd gear holds 9.5psi with afr's at 11.4-12.2
3rd gear holds 9.5psi, spikes 12psi with afr's at 11.5-12.6

I also still have to tend to the turbo return line. Reused the original one for now but it's looking tired.

Here's a photo I haven't shared yet.

 

323

lolmsp lolms3
Sad times. Pulled off the steedspeed manifold and 2860 for reasons. Reasons being the manifold is leaking at the runners and the 2860 appears to be pushing oil passed the seals at a slow but unacceptable rate. Was hoping it was just a little blowby but oil is evident in my hot pipe and intake pipe. Will probably drop off the manifold to get welded in a couple weeks. For the turbo, most likely will get a new CHRA for it (but it's so damn expensive). Waste all the monies.
 

323

lolmsp lolms3
Weather was nice today and the rain held off. Went and replaced the valve cover gasket since it was leaking and letting oil collect near the top of the turbo manifold. Took the opportunity to install one step colder plugs too.



 

323

lolmsp lolms3
For those of you still with me, yes one of my AN line/hoses failed again. It seems the end closest or on the engine only lasts a good 6-12 months before the heat cycle compromises the hose allowing oil to seep passed hose and out of the fitting. I'm pretty over it and not a fan of working with the braided hoses and chose to change it all out to the push lock fittings and hoses. The brand I chose to run, Russell, calls it Twist Lok as opposed to push lock. All the fittings are here. I'm just waiting on the hose. I've read nothing but good reviews on these setups. The hose is rated for pressures up to 250psi which is way more than the 60-65psi (hot)/75-80psi (cold) my oil sees.

For those considering, I've read that the hose is pretty hard to push onto the fitting and is nearly impossible to remove by hand. The trick is to oil the hose and fitting and heat up the hose a little and it should all go on together easily. I'll report my experiences here when I can.



 
Last edited:

323

lolmsp lolms3
Finally decided to drop off the steedspeed manifold to a friend last week that does welding on the side. He ended up not being able to properly sand down runners #2 and #3. I took it back to tackle that task before returning it which I ended up doing tonight. Filing and sanding off ceramic coating is no easy task. I’d say I’m about 80-90% done. Putting in too much work for this manifold 😒



 

323

lolmsp lolms3
That manifold is one sweet looking piece, what caused the leak at the runners?
Well I bought it used. To my untrained eyes, I failed to see that there were cracks before ceramic coating it and installing it. Shortly after, the leak revealed itself. I searched around and found that others with this early version of the manifold experienced the same thing and had to get it welded. It’s mainly leaking at runner 1 and 4 and slightly on 2. I’m getting all the runners welded. I will definitely test the manifold before getting it coated this time around lol.
 

323

lolmsp lolms3
The Twist Lok hose arrived yesterday. The internet is correct when they said the hose is nearly impossible to push onto the fitting without oiling both the fitting and hose then heating up the hose. On my first try, I only heated up the hose for about 20 seconds and it was almost impossible for me to push the hose over the last flare. Luckily I was able to fit the whole thing in a clamp to finish the job. After that, I tried heating up the hose for 1 minute and it worked perfectly. Took a bit of effort but the hose goes on the fitting and seats perfectly. Appears impossible to get the hose off by pulling on it. Videos have shown to use a solder gun to melt/cut the hose to preserve the fitting when you plan on removing it. Everything was nearly effortless except for one line where I changed the setup and used a different fitting so the length of the hose couldn't be determined by the previous hose's length. Had to assemble one fitting, install on car, determine hose length, take it off, cut hose, assemble, and then reinstall.



While letting the garage air out from all the fumes, I went and finished up removing the ceramic coating in small corners and edges on the manifold. I'll be dropping this off next week for welding.



Edit: I wanted to note the mileage of the install which is 131244. As an update, I did encounter a leak but it was my fault for not tightening down 2 fittings enough on the PRV valve which is a pain in the neck to get to btw. Ended up disassembling everything twice to retighten everything properly. Went for a long drive and all appears well.
 
Last edited:
Top