For those with the JDM cams...

Spiced MSP

:
2016 Peterbilt 579
I am ready to install my cams and I was curious, do I really have to remove all the pullies, water pump, power steering and belts? Could I swap the cams without removing all of that?..after everything is lined up of course...

I am ready to install my cams and I was curious, do I really have to remove all the pullies, water pump, power steering and belts? Could I swap the cams without removing all of that?..after everything is lined up of course...

You can slip off the timing belt no prob, but the prob would be putting it back on after the cam install. I had to remove the belts and the timing cover to loosen the tensioner to get timing belt back on

I have heard about this issue but I have also heard that to overcome this, you can put the timing belt on the intake camgear and to get the belt all the way on the exhaust camgear, you can get it halfway started but you have to actually have someone start turning the crankshaft to work the belt all the way on both gears. OF COURSE MAKING SURE EVERYTHING STAYS LINED UP

how do you go about loosening everything to loosen the tensioner? It looks like too much of a hassle to do all of that with the motor in.

Someone please help!!! How do you go about getting tools between the engine and the fender to get the pullies and belts off??? Is there an alternate to getting the timing belt onto the cam gears??? This is all I have left to do in order to put my car back together and I cannot get this timing belt on for nothing!! I was going to take it to a shop to get done but I was NOT going to pay $350 for it. Can someone help me out so I can put this thing back together and drive my car again. This is day two so far...

Someone please help!!! How do you go about getting tools between the engine and the fender to get the pullies and belts off??? Is there an alternate to getting the timing belt onto the cam gears??? This is all I have left to do in order to put my car back together and I cannot get this timing belt on for nothing!! I was going to take it to a shop to get done but I was NOT going to pay $350 for it. Can someone help me out so I can put this thing back together and drive my car again. This is day two so far...

You don't need to remove any pulleys. Just loosen the ALT and PS enuf to remove the belts. Then you will need to remove the front passenger wheel to gain access to remove the splash guard thing. Then you can reach up with a 10mm(I think)socket and remove the bolts holding timing belt cover on. Theres 8 bolts total here. Next you can use an allen wrench(not sure what size)to rotate the timing belt tensioner away to gain enuf slack in the belt to slide it back onto the cam gears

well, I have the passenger tire and splashguard out. I have tried almost every tool I have to include extensions, universal joints and more and nothing is working. I am only able to get one bolt on the lower timing belt cover loose. One is blocked by the crankshaft pully, I don't see the one in the center of the cover and I can't get anything near the one bolt up top. This is starting to frustrate me. Im almost at the point where Im just going to call a tow truck and have it towed to a shop and have them fix it.

well, I have the passenger tire and splashguard out. I have tried almost every tool I have to include extensions, universal joints and more and nothing is working. I am only able to get one bolt on the lower timing belt cover loose. One is blocked by the crankshaft pully, I don't see the one in the center of the cover and I can't get anything near the one bolt up top. This is starting to frustrate me. Im almost at the point where Im just going to call a tow truck and have it towed to a shop and have them fix it.

Sorry, yes the crank pulley will need to come off to get the lower timing cover off. You don't need any extensions on the ratchet, just the socket cuz theres not much room to work with

ok, well Im about to go borrow a friends impact wrench and Ill see where I get from there. thanks for your help

tried using an impact and also used PB blaster on the crank pulley and the damn thing won't budge. This s*** is really starting to piss me off. A freaking 1-2 hour job has turned into THREE FREAKING DAYS!!!

its not reverse thread, you need to turn up the PSI and put the impact on tighten, hit it once or twice, then put to loosen, hit it once or twice...keep repeating until it loosens
it takes a while, once u get the crank pulley off, its a piece of cake to do the timing belt, hardest part is getting the tensioner spring back on once the belt is on

Yeah it is pretty much a timing belt change and better to have a good impact to remove the crank pulley bolt.

Back