For those eagerly awaiting Gen 3

yeah, but will I be able to easily check the transmission level with
these new engines ?
lessons learned...
Apparently not, Mazda doesn't want you or anyone other than their service technicians to check the transmission fluid level any more, and in particular top it up or do a flush. Too many issues arising from things going wrong by some backyard mechanics.

They need to update infotainment systems in some models in the meantime. I think that would be a big help with sales.

I wonder if the Mazda 3 dash and infotainment could be adapted to the current CX-5 as an interim update? That would really freshen up the interior.

They also updated the infotainment for the 2016.5 model before the 2017 MY came out, so it is possible, just not likely as Mazda seem to be completely oblivious about technology.

For the CX-5, the infotainment was upgraded to the Mazda Connect system for the entire 2016 model year. (not just the 2016.5)

There's a name you never hear anymore.

Let me rephrase. There's two names you never hear anymore.
I wondered when I heard "Blackberry." But then I found this Jan 2020 article about Blackberry and Amazon Web Services (world's top cloud platform ) teaming up.

Apparently Blcakberry--through its 2010 acquisition of QNX (embedded vehicle O/S company)--"accounts for over half the embedded operating system market for connected vehicles. Its biggest competitor, Microsoft's (NASDAQ:MSFT) Windows Embedded, only controls about a fourth of the market."

It further states:
By linking QNX to the cloud, automakers can instantly monitor a vehicle's EV battery levels and vehicle subsystems, provide over-the-air software updates, and personalize vehicle cockpits, advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS), and machine learning models for autonomous driving through cloud-based apps.

This also has fleet monitoring application.

I had no idea Blackberry had a footprint in this market.

Last edited:
I wondered when I heard "Blackberry." But then I found this Jan 2020 article about Blackberry and Amazon Web Services (world's top cloud platform ) teaming up.

Apparently Blcakberry--through its 2010 acquisition of QNX (embedded vehicle O/S company)--"accounts for over half the embedded operating system market for connected vehicles. Its biggest competitor, Microsoft's (NASDAQ:MSFT) Windows Embedded, only controls about a fourth of the market."

It further states:

That is correct and now Ford's SYNC systems are top notch. We would think that the Almighty Microsoft would of been Ford's best bet but they quickly fired them and moved away.

Point is, Mazda, get it done! It seems to be the car's weakest link and can't be that difficult to fix.

We don't want excuses of 2023, spend the money. Get it done.

However, since I am getting a 2020 model it would be in my favour now that they not improve it or my resale value could be hurt and I would regret of not waiting.

That is correct and now Ford's SYNC systems are top notch. We would think that the Almighty Microsoft would of been Ford's best bet but they quickly fired them and moved away.

Point is, Mazda, get it done! It seems to be the car's weakest link and can't be that difficult to fix.

We don't want excuses of 2023, spend the money. Get it done.

However, since I am getting a 2020 model it would be in my favour now that they not improve it or my resale value could be hurt and I would regret of not waiting.
The article made mention of Microsoft's system being buggy.

Regarding Mazda, the contrast between the quality of engineering and the high end "look & feel" against the infotainment system makes that system seem more inadequate than it objectively is (to me, anyway.) But still, it's such a silly place to lag the competition. I can't imagine a lot of R&D dollars would be required. Heck, just go to a Crutchfield store ;)

I didn't know either. In Canada, esp Ontario, for years any move that company made was top news story. That faded sometime over last decade.

At one point the founder wanted to set up a second NHL franchise in Toronto, but where i am up in northern burbs. Seemed a weird proposal, as big as the region is at 5 million people, we aren't 15-20m strong in NYC or LA where 2 teams can be supported. Pet project I suppose.

Back