For Sale: 1983 Mazda Rx-7 GSL

I am selling a 1983 Mazda Rx-7 GSL. The one in question is a Maya Gold model with a brown cloth interior. The mileage is 141,XXX. The GSL package added power windows, disc brakes at all 4 corners, and a limite slip differential. The car is a very good car when treated well, very few problems, and tons of smiles per mile. The car is so much fun to drive, very controlled, if you have ever driven an Rx-7, you know. This car does have a few problems, but mechanically, it is the most sound out of any Rx-7 I have ever seen, and I have owned 4 Rx-7s, and seen MANY of them. Here is a quick summary.

The Good:
-The car has very low miles, and a strong engine.
-The car gets pretty good gas mileage for an Rx-7, about 24 mixed city highway
-the car has had the suspension components replaced recently, and still feels stiff and tight.
-The car has no noticeable play in the steering that first gen Rx-7 are notorious for having. The tie rods and ball joints seem to be in good condition, and the steering box is as tight as can be.
-The tires have less than 800 miles on them, and they are Sumitomo HTR 200s in 205/60R/13 size. Stock tires are 165s, so these 205s provide great grip.
-The car has been well maintained with full warm ups before driving, and frequent oil changes. The oil in the car now is still clear from the last change.
-The car has a JVC head unit that plays CDs, MP3 CDs, has an auxiliary port, and is HD radio ready.
-The car currently only has rear speakers, but they are a $70 set of speakers that sound phenomenal, much better than the full 4 speaker pioneer system in my 1984 Rx-7.
-All electrics work, both defrosters, heater, power windows, etc.
-The car has a removable sunroof, targa style with 3 quick release tabs.
-The shifter, clutch, brakes, and throttle all have a good firm, but not too stiff feel, the car has been well maintained with wearing items like bushings and such replaced often.
-Brakes have less than 800 miles on them. All 4 rotors, and pads were changed with all new fluid and the rear 2 calipers are new too. They were done before the wheels and tires were mounted.
-Parking cable is not stretched, it engages very well. Not a lot of slop like most cars this age.
-Completely unmolested, stock other than the radio and the removal of emissions(cats bypassed with straight pipe and stock vacuum system simplified).
-Upper & Lower rad hose as well as the t-stat was replaced less than 200 miles ago.
-Distributor cap and rotor replaced about 1,500 miles ago
-Fan clutch replaced with a good used unit about 200 miles ago when the T-stat was changed.
-Main belt (the only belt) was replaced about 100 miles ago.

The Bad:
-The car has a dashboard that seems to have been tampered with body filler. The person didn’t do too god of a job, and they painted it like a semi-metalic gunmetal grey. This looks pretty bad but isn’t awful. The seats have some ripping on the bolsters.
-The paint on the roof is in dire need of attention, and the sunroof is donated from a white car due to the stock sunroof being rusted through in a few places when I got the car.
-The rear wiper doesn’t work, and the front wipers are missing these little pins that hold on the blades. I know they are sold somewhere, but I didn’t look too hard for them, as I had other Rx-7s to drive in the rain.
-The tach doesn’t like to work for the first 5 or 10 minutes after the car is turned on, and even when working properly, sometimes it doesn’t register above 4K RPM. I have a spare tach you could put in, but the job is a difficult one.
-The car has a weird electrical gremlin with one of the turn signals. The left blinker blinks fast like a bulb is burned out somewhere, but all the bulbs are fine, and do light up, just quickly. This is probably a relay.
-The rear wiper does not work.
-The gas gauge isn’t accurate, but the car has a 16.6 gallon tank, and will tell you its empty at about 6.5 of 7 gallons, but the car can get 300 miles on a tank easy if you use the trip odometer.
-There is a slow leak in the rain, I think it is the rear hatch seal, about $80 for a new seal from www.blackdragonauto.com. I also have a spare I will include with the car that came off of a car that held out water well.

Just worth knowing:
-The car is missing trim on the driver’s side in one of these pictures, but I have the trim, and it will probably be installed before you even come to see it.
-The power windows have been rewired by the previous owner to work on one master switch for both windows. It would need to be redone for both windows to work independently.
-These cars burned oil from the factory, this one is no exception.
-This car needs to be started with the choke pulled (there is a trick I can show you to help with warm up) I recommend waiting a good 3 to 5 minutes for the car to actually register on the temp gauge before driving, it’s an old car, and this engine is strong, but only because it has been taken care of with precautions like this.
-It smokes a little bit when cold. And a little puff when shifting up from a full throttle pull. These are likely slightly leaking oil seals, but not bad for the car, you just have to remember to check your oil levels at gas stations when filling up(which you should do anyway as an Rx-7 owner).
-The car has no emissions equipment, but it is over 25 years of age, so it will not need ot pass emissions in the state of Georgia.
-The AC compressor is in the engine bay, but I have never hooked it up via the belt. I always planned on removing it because of the space it takes up in the engine bay. It is not known if it is good or not.

Asking $1,900 OBO price can be somewhat flexible if you’re serious, but you must negotiate in person after seeing the car. Driving it is the best way to get a feel for how great it really is. I have been very honest in this ad, and do understand it is a 26 year old car. I have not left anything out that I can think of, so do not try to haggle me like crazy as you should have avery good idea about what you're buying before you get here to see it.

Karl3.jpg

Karl5.jpg

Karl6.jpg

Karl7.jpg

Karl1.jpg

IMG_0008small.jpg

IMG_0011small.jpg

Ok, proof I exist and am selling this car.
Karl14.jpg

Karl13.jpg

And some interior/ engine bay stuff

Karl12.jpg

Karl11.jpg

Karl10.jpg

Karl8.jpg

Last edited:
sweet classic rotary!

...i want your wheels!!! :p

I know, this is one of the best sets of "x" or "+" wheels I've ever seen. I bought them from a guy in PA. I seriously considered throwing on an old set that has lost it's shine for the sale but I didn't feel right parting the car from them, and I think it is better that the new owner rides in style. Thanks for the compliment!

(bump) for a great looking 1st Gen & Deal...Super nice pics as well...Good luck with the sale! :D

Latest posts

Back