For Driver-Assist system enthusiasts

Greetings!
Glad I found this forum.

My two cents on the driver assistant/aids... they encourage terrible driving habits.

I truly wish Mazda allowed custom car builds. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could remove everything (G-Vectoring control, lane keep, RCC ect ect).

(side note, if you know how to remove these from the Mazda 3, completely, I would be very grateful to know!)

I rent cars... ALOT for work. I absolutely cannot stand all the nannies. The moment a car wants to make a decision for me is the moment I am at war with the car and am not enjoying my travels.

From my experience talking to a lot of car reviewers, the main reason they dont in depth review them or gloss right over them is because they like to DRIVE their car, not be a passenger. Most of these assist/nannie functions take so much away from actually driving your car.....

Most of these assist/nannie functions take so much away from actually driving your car.....

In a Perfect world with perfect drivers i would agree with you, but there are so many incompetent drivers on the road that we actually need these systems to have others avoid hitting one another. I actually like all the safety features and have no issues whatsoever with it. It's never intervened when i drive, and i really appreciate the adaptive radar cruise control in long distance drives and stop and go traffic.

I actually like all the safety features and have no issues whatsoever

Who, exactly, is deeming this stuff "safety" rated? Be cautious regarding assumptions such as this. Safety misconceptions...far more appropriate. This stuff does not qualify. Automatic does not imply Safety rated, tested, and verified. A little consumer education for you. Should you find yourself in a court of law, the opposition's lawyers will quickly point this fact out to you much to your dismay.

Who, exactly, is deeming this stuff "safety" rated? Be cautious regarding assumptions such as this. Safety misconceptions...far more appropriate.

Safety features, rated, misconceptions...none are legal terms and none will help in court of law, but not having the systems won't help either. But who cares. I'm not looking for legal protection. I'm looking for collision avoidance.

I'm not thinking of the legal when a new Range Rover is barreling down on me because I stopped for the guy in front of me to make a last sec right turn to get gas. I'm thinking "Thank god that isn't a 2003 chevy silverado coming at me."

Systems will never will eliminate all the risks, or most of the risks, but hopefully it eliminates some.

I'm not a perfect driver, I have had brakes applied when distracted once. Another time blind spot warning came on as some dude came into lane to his right as I was going into my lane to my left.

I was pleased with that level of avoidance. If I end up in court, I'll rely on my lawyer not my car.

I was pleased with that level of avoidance. If I end up in court, I'll rely on my lawyer not my car.

agree with your statements. it's a good feature to have but don't bet your life on it right? =)

If I end up in court, I'll rely on my lawyer not my car.

Easy statement to make if you've never had to sit through an episode of being deposed on such matters.
Too much faith in the technology, and clearly, too much faith in lawyers :cautious: Next...

it's a good feature to have but don't bet your life on it right? =)

Couldn't agree with you more. However, the reality is the populous is demonstrating by their actions they clearly are betting their lives on it. Which, btw, is the basis of my comments and objections to the distracted driving technology. Therefore I'd prefer the option to "opt out" making my automotive purchases far less expensive and more reliable.

Back