2013~2016 Follow-up: Re: Liftgate Issue

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 132k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
So a few weeks ago I made a thread where I mentioned the lift-gate was not unlocking when I was unlocking the car. Suggestions were mostly to lubricate the liftgate latch and bar which I did. Another suggestion was that water could get in and cause a short.

Now though I have determined this to not be a liftgate specific issue. I unlocked my car as normal for all doors (2 unlocks on the fob or door switch) and noticed that the passenger side door and both rear doors were also not unlocking. This morning I tried it from the driver's side seat, using the unlock button on the door and this is what I observed.

Everytime I hit the unlock, I could visibly see the lock indicator on the passenger door move a little bit (but not all the way to unlocked). Hit it again, and it moves a little more. I did this 5 or 6 times before the door was actually unlocked. I then also went to the lift-gate and it was unlocked as well.

Any ideas what could cause this? A faulty switch? An electrical issue? Battery? Really unsure what to be looking at here. Driver's door seems to be unaffected as it unlocks normally on one click.

Do the back door switches move like the passenger door switch?

Mazda door actuators are pretty weak. As the weather gets colder, you see more and more of this. E-bay has lots of rebuild kits for these actuators.

I notice with my 2017, there is a slight buzz when unlocking the door now that it has gotten colder. Battery checks out for voltage and I began to notice this each season it starts to get cold.

I can remember changing out the actuator motor in my previous Mazda 5 as it got progressively worst like you are seeing with your vehicle. One by one each lock would slowly fail and I too could see the lock barely moving when pressing the lock/unlock button to the point it took 2 - 3 times to engage/disengage. It got so annoying as I couldn't be sure all the doors were locked without walking around trying each door when I locked to leave the car.

How about when you try to unlock the passenger door using the interior switch on that door? Or the master interior switch?
Interesting problem.

Mazda door actuators are pretty weak. As the weather gets colder, you see more and more of this. E-bay has lots of rebuild kits for these actuators.

I notice with my 2017, there is a slight buzz when unlocking the door now that it has gotten colder. Battery checks out for voltage and I began to notice this each season it starts to get cold.

I can remember changing out the actuator motor in my previous Mazda 5 as it got progressively worst like you are seeing with your vehicle. One by one each lock would slowly fail and I too could see the lock barely moving when pressing the lock/unlock button to the point it took 2 - 3 times to engage/disengage. It got so annoying as I couldn't be sure all the doors were locked without walking around trying each door when I locked to leave the car.

Oh, it's called an actuator? I'll check that out, thanks. Yeah it's getting cold, but first time this has ever been a problem.

How about when you try to unlock the passenger door using the interior switch on that door? Or the master interior switch?
Interesting problem.

Good question. I'll try it tomorrow. It's pretty reproducible now.

I hear my actuators as well and this has been happening for a while. So I would say it started 2 years after purchase. I have all 4 unlock on auto. Means I will need 4 actuators when it goes balls up.
This should not be happening on 5 year old car.

I hear my actuators as well and this has been happening for a while. So I would say it started 2 years after purchase. I have all 4 unlock on auto. Means I will need 4 actuators when it goes balls up.
This should not be happening on 5 year old car.

Yeah. Mine will be 7 years old in January.

Tried passenger side switch and noticed same thing.

I wonder if the wiring is daisy chained, so that a failure in one actuator would cascade to the others. Or if feedback from one failing causes the control circuit to cut out.

I wonder if the wiring is daisy chained, so that a failure in one actuator would cascade to the others. Or if feedback from one failing causes the control circuit to cut out.

No idea.

Any idea what parts I should look at buying/replacing? Start with the actuators?

No idea.

Any idea what parts I should look at buying/replacing? Start with the actuators?

No idea. :(

But if they're all doing the same thing, it seems like it's more likely something in the control circuitry. Just guessing. Could try disconnecting one actuator at a time, to check for bad feedback, but that sounds like a boat load of hassle. You need to find out what activates the actuators.

No idea. :(

But if they're all doing the same thing, it seems like it's more likely something in the control circuitry. Just guessing. Could try disconnecting one actuator at a time, to check for bad feedback, but that sounds like a boat load of hassle. You need to find out what activates the actuators.

Maybe I just take it in for a diagnostic and go from there. :(

So this problem mysteriously went away for a while and I wasn't having this issue so much anymore so I left it alone. Now as of this past weekend it is back in full force, so guess I need to take it in now. :(

I am noticing though that the rear doors aren't being problematic. It's mostly just the hatch and front passenger door.

Latest posts

Back