Folding Mirrors

You should of bought a Reserve or Signature and you wouldn't have these problems.
Why? Does the Reserve or Signature have a louder turn signal? From an earlier exchange I gather not. Is there a heads up display that shows the flashing turn signal? If not I don't know what you're getting at. If so, I wouldn't pay up for that and a whole lot of other stuff I don't want. This Touring has a whole lot of stuff already I don't care about. So far, this is the only problem I have, not "problems", unless you count the user manual in which case no trim line is exempt.

Do those models have an inverse tractor beam to keep idiots from tailgating? That I would pay for.

Those upper trims come with 2.5L turbos if I'm not mistaken. I avoid turbos so that's out regardless.

Whatever floats your boat. I have my own sailing vessel, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
That takes a lot more than 3 clicks. I can only envision using that on an open road--you, the other guy and a lot of empty space around. Then the signal is just good practice (and maybe the law) but not really meaningful.
I'm with you there. Three click, and fast ones at that, are simply not enough for my style of driving. Add to that the blind spot monitoring and every time I signal that I'm moving over after I complete my pass, I get the warning beep (which also overpowers the turn signal click).

My Ford Focus has a ECU setting for the number of clicks you get with lane changes. The default is three and it's not configurable through the UI settings, but is with the right tool. I wonder if Mazda has that as well.

Why? Does the Reserve or Signature have a louder turn signal? From an earlier exchange I gather not. Is there a heads up display that shows the flashing turn signal? If not I don't know what you're getting at. If so, I wouldn't pay up for that and a whole lot of other stuff I don't want. This Touring has a whole lot of stuff already I don't care about. So far, this is the only problem I have, not "problems", unless you count the user manual in which case no trim line is exempt.

Do those models have an inverse tractor beam to keep idiots from tailgating? That I would pay for.

Those upper trims come with 2.5L turbos if I'm not mistaken. I avoid turbos so that's out regardless.

Whatever floats your boat. I have my own sailing vessel, thanks.
No I don't think it has a louder turn signal. My response was to your complaint about having to move your head down to see the speedometer and moving your head to see your nav unit.
Those trims have that info integrated into the heads-up display so you don't have to move your eyes a few millimeters to get that info.
I've never had the problem of taking my eyes off the road for a few milliseconds to check the dash.

I'm with you there. Three click, and fast ones at that, are simply not enough for my style of driving. Add to that the blind spot monitoring and every time I signal that I'm moving over after I complete my pass, I get the warning beep (which also overpowers the turn signal click).

My Ford Focus has a ECU setting for the number of clicks you get with lane changes. The default is three and it's not configurable through the UI settings, but is with the right tool. I wonder if Mazda has that as well.
I'm a newbie so you or others would know better, but there may be settings for turning those beeps on or off. I seem to recall reading somewhere you can turn them off but I looked at so many vehicles some details are a muddle.

I don't recall getting any beeps from any of the safety systems over my 10 days and 300 miles. This was a dealer service loaner so I would not expect default settings.

I have not checked into this aspect of the settings yet because no beeps is my preference--ain't broke, don't fix it for the time being. I touch a shoulder stripe and get a little vibration in the steering wheel, no beep, perfect. I don't recall the blind spot detector being anything but visual.

Long and short, there may be settings. If so, whether you can turn beeps on and off for specific systems or whether it's across the board will be something I'll eventually get around to checking out.

No I don't think it has a louder turn signal. My response was to your complaint about having to move your head down to see the speedometer and moving your head to see your nav unit.
Those trims have that info integrated into the heads-up display so you don't have to move your eyes a few millimeters to get that info.
I've never had the problem of taking my eyes off the road for a few milliseconds to check the dash.
If you don't have to look down to check speed, whether you have a heads up display or a Garmin, then you don't have a specific reason to look down.

If you don't have a reason to look down then you won't see the turn signal indicator flashing. Ergo, it would be nice if the click could be made louder.

Let's say you're on an expressway in MRCC or conventional cruise control with music turned up over the wind noise. You pass on the left, signal, then move back to the right, while maintaining the cruise set point speed the whole time.

I don't don't know about you but I have no reason to look at the speedometer in that scenario so there's no particual reason to be looking down to see a visual indicator.

This is precisely the situation where I've found myself in geezer mode, forgetting to flip it off or not flicking it hard enough, tooling along with the signal on. That High volume setting for the turn signal could defintely be louder.

I also have a bead bag-type holder for my Garmin nav that sits on the dash in front of my face when I'm using it. I look at that for my speed, not down, kind of a heads up display. Even when not in cruise I could go quite a ways without looking down.
In inspect my gauges every 2 minutes or less, regardless. I was taught to drive by a pilot.

As to the mirror, its articulation is proper, for now, but once they start messing up, I find they wax and wane for a bit, and then go bad all the time. Likely will get it replaced this upcoming oil change.

I live in on a high-trafficked street where the only parking is parallel. Very nice to have the mirrors autofold to protect them both from strikes by vehicles or bicyclists in the roads and pedestrians on the sidewalks.

Plus, I do appreciate the ability to visually verify the doors auto-locked.

My 2 folding mirrors were replaced this week (free of charge).
I saw the TSB - it is already the 3d on the same subject.

Found this video on Youtube. The guy fixed it with WD-40...
If your car is under warranty, bring it to a dealer.
If not, try WD-40 first.
If nothing is broken inside, it just might work again.

Anyway, avoid dirt getting into the housing. (e.g. car washing, etc.)
I am not sure how Toyota makes it reliable, but Mazda ones surely aren't.

I haven't had my 2020 long enough to have an opinion on reliability, but I'll for sure leave them on the automatic fold in option. I've found the Mazda walk away lock function on both my 2017 and the new 2020 CX-5 to be flakey, and I like being able to glance back at the car and see if it locked by seeing if the mirrors folded in. In, keep walking. Out, stop and push the lock button.

Mine are acting up -

A few weeks ago I noticed the passenger side mirror was facing more inward than normal. I used the knob to command them to come in and then go back out, and it went out all the way.

Pretty much daily now, I've noticed it is doing it. So it'll have to be serviced on my next oil change.

Mine are acting up -

A few weeks ago I noticed the passenger side mirror was facing more inward than normal. I used the knob to command them to come in and then go back out, and it went out all the way.

Pretty much daily now, I've noticed it is doing it. So it'll have to be serviced on my next oil change.
Not surprised if you let them auto-fold each time you lock the CX-5. Mazda should really consider to switch to the same vender who manufactures the power folding mirrors for Lexus / Toyota’s.

Actually Mazda’s power folding mirrors are having a history of problems. Based on our UK friend who has been using power folding mirrors on Mazda’s vehicles, he has been having problems on all of them! There’s a TSB for Mazda power folding mirrors, but unfortunately Anchorman couldn’t attach it as:

“I was referring to the motor that folds the mirrors back. A lot is explained in the TSB which explains the failure mode and the long drawn out procedure for modifying mirrors. It’s the most colourful detailed TSB you can imagine but it’s 3.2 Mb so no chance of me attaching it.”

If anyone is looking for the TSB mentioned in this post, here it is. It is applicable to 2019 CX-5s produced before June 11, 2019 and 2019 CX-9s produced before August 28, 2019).

Back