Folding Mirrors

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
I just cannot endorse Mazda implementation. My passenger side is failing again. The repair cost is $750. Sure am glad I got that warranty. Not 12k past my 3/36 I'm already 25% through it, value wise, and I'm sure the driver's mirror will follow soon. It did last time. Seems 20-25k miles is their median lifespan. This will be mirror motor #3 for my vehicle total.

Does it fail midway thru the fold or stay tucked in? If mine ever failed I'd prefer it be jammed and stayed "out". Then I'd live with it rather than pay that much out of pocket. Nice feature, but I can live without.

Is your vehicle configured to fold/extend with every power cycle? How many mirror "cycles" would you estimate your getting before a failure?

I have mine configured to only fold on demand with the switch. In my operating environment, I rarely feel the need to fold them. Maybe once a month.

Does it fail midway thru the fold or stay tucked in? If mine ever failed I'd prefer it be jammed and stayed "out". Then I'd live with it rather than pay that much out of pocket. Nice feature, but I can live without.
You can always push the mirrors out manually if the power folding mirrors got stuck in the middle.

I just cannot endorse Mazda implementation. My passenger side is failing again. The repair cost is $750. Sure am glad I got that warranty. Not 12k past my 3/36 I'm already 25% through it, value wise, and I'm sure the driver's mirror will follow soon. It did last time. Seems 20-25k miles is their median lifespan. This will be mirror motor #3 for my vehicle total.
A couple of friends of mine who have those power folding mirrors and they programmed them to fold each time they lock the car. One is 2012 Lexus CT 200h and the other one is 2013 Lexus RX 350. They have never experienced any problems on their power folding mirrors with so many times of folding in and out for all these years. Mazda needs to learn this power folding mirror technology from Toyota.

Or just use Toyota parts
There isn't any mention of Mazda model years in this thread. It's still the case across the industry that the first year or two of a new generation of a model is likely to have some issues, particularly with the electronics, even Toyotas. Lexus might be an exception, but Lexus owners will tell you those vehicles tend to trail others in introducing new whiz bang technologies whereas the Germans will throw it at you to beta test.

Anyway, a common problem in a 2017 CX-5, first year of the generation, may be rectified by 2019. Of course if they just happened to go with a new mirror system mid-generation, or something else new mid-generation, that could be a problem. However, generally if not universally, issues decline as the generation ages, particularly with Asian makes. Some others seem to have a hard time leaning lessons. For me, this was one of the appeals of the 2020 CX-5, several years into the generation, particulary the drive train, and Consumer Reports reliability ratings bear that out.

Anyway, if Maza decided to buy Toyota mirrors It wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer gave up on their own technology and used Toyota's instead. Toyota's Aisan transmissions are used in some high end European models. Volvo, BMW and Mercedes are not going to tell you that. Going downscale from there, Toyota's CVT transmission is the only one of that type I'd consider; they've been refining that for decades since the Prius first came out.

That brings to mind another appeal of the 2020 CX-5--no CVT, 6 speed instead, along with a conventionally aspirated engine instead of a small turbo some manufacturers like Honda are using in this class. The 2020 CX-5 has a combo tried and tested for billions of real miles. I wouldn't touch a Subaru turbo with a ten foot pole. And if you want to go 150,000 miles any turbo diminishes your chances. But I digress.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why would miles have anything to do with their lifespan?

Ours are set to close when locking and we have never had any issue. I would say this is done several times a day for 20 months now. How many others have seen this on their 2019?

In other markets than US, the power-folding has been available for many years. The mirrors are prone to failure. One of the frequent issues has been a plastic gear. One owner, who was fed up with this frequent failure, managed to change it to a metal one, and the problem never occurred to his again. If I had this feature on a new Mazda, I would turn if off unless I manually trigger it.

Another advice from those owners was.... don't let water jet go into the mirror thru the gap. If you had to put it thru auto-wash, please tape up the gaps first.

Overall, use it less unless you have to. Plastic parts will fail.

When my wife's sawing machine stopped working, I disassembled it. Guess what? Found a broken plastic gear...

Plastic parts will fail.

When my wife's sewing machine stopped working, I disassembled it. Guess what? Found a broken plastic gear...
I digress here, but that is so true.
My 20 year old Kenmore washing machine stopped draining.
My wife was ready to buy a new one. I said, hold on a minute.
Took it apart, and found a broken plastic coupler.
Ordered a new one on line for $35.
The new one was updated with a metal insert. Fixed.

I digress here, but that is so true.
My 20 year old Kenmore washing machine stopped draining.
My wife was ready to buy a new one. I said, hold on a minute.
Took it apart, and found a broken plastic coupler.
Ordered a new one on line for $35.
The new one was updated with a metal insert. Fixed.
I had exactly the same problem with a Kenmore washer bought new in year 2000.

Pays to be handy, doesn't it?
I've saved myself a ton of money over the years fixing stuff that most guys would be afraid to tackle.

Why would miles have anything to do with their lifespan?

Ours are set to close when locking and we have never had any issue. I would say this is done several times a day for 20 months now. How many others have seen this on their 2019?
Agreed. 2019 here purchased 6/19 12k miles so far no issues. Mine are set to fold everytime the car locks. 25k of primarily city driving with lots of parking stops is a lot different than 25k of highway miles where the mirrors rarely fold.

What is the purpose for the electric folding mirrors? I have truck with manual folding which I only fold if I go through a car wash. My wife's 2019 Mazda folds everytime the door locks and is used by her to verify the doors locked. What is their real purpose?

Ironically, the purpose is to prevent them from breaking :) especially in a big and very crowded cities - its a plus. In USA probably not so much vs Europe where its a life saver to have this feature.

Some do fail when they freeze in the winter weather and are operated. Don't know on the Mazda ones but I would be curious what exactly fails. I could suspect its a plastic thing/part.

What is the purpose for the electric folding mirrors?
If you don’t have power folding mirrors, then you have to fold them manually each time you park the car in Asia and Europe. Or those mirrors will get knocked off easily due to the narrow street and tight parking lot!

Nobody would buy a new car without a power folding mirrors in these markets!

Actually Mazda’s power folding mirrors are having a history of problems. Based on our UK friend who has been using power folding mirrors on Mazda’s vehicles, he has been having problems on all of them! There’s a TSB for Mazda power folding mirrors, but unfortunately Anchorman couldn’t attach it as:

“I was referring to the motor that folds the mirrors back. A lot is explained in the TSB which explains the failure mode and the long drawn out procedure for modifying mirrors. It’s the most colourful detailed TSB you can imagine but it’s 3.2 Mb so no chance of me attaching it.”

There is another later TSB about the motor failing due to corrosion and I had one on my CX-3, one on my 16 CX-5 and one on my red 2017 CX-5 (ordered when a truck knocked it off) all fail in the same way, the drive motor/mechanism stopped working. They have come up with improved sealing of the internal parts for that one. The later ones are fixed in production.

Ironically, the purpose is to prevent them from breaking :) especially in a big and very crowded cities - its a plus. In USA probably not so much vs Europe where its a life saver to have this feature.

Some do fail when they freeze in the winter weather and are operated. Don't know on the Mazda ones but I would be curious what exactly fails. I could suspect its a plastic thing/part.
The motor gets weaker and weaker until they no longer fully articulate.

Mileage matters to me as a frequency measure, as I have set driving patterns. You may use a different matrix for you.

Is your vehicle configured to fold/extend with every power cycle? How many mirror "cycles" would you estimate your getting before a failure?

I have mine configured to only fold on demand with the switch. In my operating environment, I rarely feel the need to fold them. Maybe once a month.
I dont know how many cycles. They fold every door lock/unlock.

Back