2016~2023 Folding mirrors misbehaving

:
CX9
Didn't see any mention of this issue when searching the forum. I have a 2019 CX-9 GT FWD with about 9K miles on it. Usually I leave it locked when it's in the driveway but sometimes I leave it unlocked. On occasion I've noticed that the car will automatically lock itself and fold the mirrors in even though I don't have it programmed to self lock when the key is out of range. Or, sometimes the mirrors don't want to unfold when the car is unlocked which happened this morning (they opened after some fooling around locking/unlocking the car). This behavior isn't consistent and seems rare but I'm retired and the car can sit for a few weeks at a time without being driven. Maybe if I drove it more the problem would be more prevalent? Curious if anyone else has experienced any similar trouble with their self folding side view mirrors? Thanks.

Do you keep your fob in your pocket? When I do and I’m in range I’ve found the buttons are really easy to activate. More than once I’ve had the rear hatch to open and/or the doors lock simply from squatting down or laying on the couch. May or may not be your problem but thought I’d throw it out there.

Thanks ohmboy but this happens when the key fob is in the house and out of range of the car. When I went to bed last night the car was unlocked and mirrors deployed. When I came out this morning the doors were still unlocked but the mirrors were folded in. Very bizarre.

Very strange. This suggestion is kind of out of left field, but is it possible that someone is just messing with you? Do you have neighbours near you? Maybe set up a security camera to see what triggers it, and/or a floodlight as a deterrence.

sm1ke, not a bad idea but I live on a 143 acre ranch out in the middle of nowhere with just my wife who is not a prankster. There aren't any neighbors or kids to do any stunts. Drove yesterday and left the car unlocked overnight and the mirrors stayed unfolded. Guess I'm the only one experiencing this issue; I'll have the dealer check next time I go in for service. Thanks.

Appreciate the TSB zerg336 and will give it a look. At a glance it seems to address problems with mirrors that will not fold out or in whereas mine are folding in spontaneously when parked and left unlocked.

I finally had my 2019 CX-9 GT into the dealer two weeks ago and asked them to look at the mirrors. They couldn't see any signs of water leaking into the folding mechanism and of course they didn't misbehave during the service visit.

This morning I went out to the car which was unlocked since yesterday morning so the mirrors were in the deployed position as they should be. When I opened the driver's door the mirrors folded in completely; when I shut the door they opened again. I opened the door again and the mirrors did the same thing. On the third attempt they folded shut and stayed shut when I closed the door as if the car were locked but it was not locked. Opening the door for a fourth time they reopened and remained open.

This is the first time I've had any dysfunction since the service visit but I've had the mirrors act like they are going to close when opening the unlocked, non-running car since I first posted this issue. Today was the worst example I've seen yet. I appear to be the only one experiencing this particular mirror problem.

Could it be because your mirror switch is in the folding position?

“To fold, rotate the outside mirror switch.To return the mirror to the driving position, rotate the switch to the center position.”

1617357685135.png

Hello youri, thanks for your thoughts on this but no; the switch is in the correct position and not the fold in mode.

Back