2013~2016 Flash Drive weirdness

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
This pertains to my 2016 Touring. I have about 50 cd's loaded to a flash drive. When you scroll through the music titles and select a specific one then select "All Songs" all song titles are displayed. When you drill down and select a specific song and it starts playing the infotainement displays "Unknown Title", "Unknown Artist". Once you start listening to tracks you have no idea what the name of the song is.
It didn't used to do this.
There are some that still display the name when it's supposed to. I haven't gone through them all so I have no idea
what the percentage of named to no-named is.
There have been no infotainment upgrades for about 4 years.

Have you added songs or folders to the drive recently? If so, it could be you've exceeded some internal maximum and the head unit has a hemorrhage.

Just for grins, count the number of files and folders on the drive.

Have you added songs or folders to the drive recently? If so, it could be you've exceeded some internal maximum and the head unit has a hemorrhage.

Just for grins, count the number of files and folders on the drive.

I haven't added anything for a couple months. Tomorrow I'm going to swap the drive over to my wife's Reserve and see what it does there.

For the tracks that are now showing up as unnamed, are you sure that they were showing up as named before? For each track there is a lot of info available to see but you have to look for that info using your computer. Hard to explain without showing you but when using your computer to see the info on these tracks there is more than one area where the track names show up. If one of those areas don’t have the track names then you won’t see it in your car, even though the track names show up elsewhere

As Red Baron said, others have had issues with USB drives and all their audio files on the "root" folder. Once they split the files up into several folders (so that each folder contains a smaller number of files/fewer total bytes), things worked fine.

You might want to copy the offending files to a fresh usb (with only those few files on it) and test to see if the problem is with the files themselves or if it is perhaps with the volume of data on the original usb.

I know you said you've not changed anything...this is just another data point for you. These cars are weird. The way the electronics behave seems to "evolve."

For the tracks that are now showing up as unnamed, are you sure that they were showing up as named before? For each track there is a lot of info available to see but you have to look for that info using your computer. Hard to explain without showing you but when using your computer to see the info on these tracks there is more than one area where the track names show up. If one of those areas don’t have the track names then you won’t see it in your car, even though the track names show up elsewhere

Yes, pretty sure. It seems like more and more songs are losing their names. The directory for each album/CD has all the names but the individual tracks on said folder is missing.
It's a 16 gb flash with about 50 CD's. Each CD is a separate folder. It think the largest folder has about 19 tracks max. Doesn't appear like I''m maxing anything out.
I tried switching from USB 1 to USB 2 with no change.

I'll try it in my wife's Reserve later and see what happens.

As Red Baron said, others have had issues with USB drives and all their audio files on the "root" folder. Once they split the files up into several folders (so that each folder contains a smaller number of files/fewer total bytes), things worked fine.

You might want to copy the offending files to a fresh usb (with only those few files on it) and test to see if the problem is with the files themselves or if it is perhaps with the volume of data on the original usb.

I know you said you've not changed anything...this is just another data point for you. These cars are weird. The way the electronics behave seems to "evolve."

Tried the flash drive in the Reserve today. Works like it should, title and artist appear when you play a track. Probably time for a firmware update.

Does anybody know if Mazda charges for updating firmware once the 3/36 warranty expires?

I think this is an update you can do yourself, if I recall correctly.

I wonder if your infotainment system allows for the current firmware version to be uploaded to it.

Back