Fixing those wimpy CX-5 Exhaust Tips...

Modshack

:
CX5 GT
You all know what I mean! Looked around for various ways to improve this but couldn't find exactly what I had in mind so decided to make my own. Had some 3" ID aluminum pipe on hand, measured the valence angle and cut some blanks:

IMG_3938-vi.jpg

Powdercoated the outside and Painted the inners. Added a few set screws:

IMG_3942-vi.jpg

Done!

IMG_3954-vi.jpg

IMG_3951-vi.jpg

IMG_3953-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. I see they are approximately flush with the bumper. Do you expect any discoloration from exhaust on the bumper? I had problems with the exhaust tips on my CX7 and had to get them extended about 1 inch outside the bumper edge. Ed

Very nice. I see they are approximately flush with the bumper. Do you expect any discoloration from exhaust on the bumper? I had problems with the exhaust tips on my CX7 and had to get them extended about 1 inch outside the bumper edge. Ed

There slightly outside now. Only on since yesterday so we shall see. I wasn't getting any sooting before though. If you had a CX7 turbo I can see that happening as the turbos run pretty rich

Very nice. Did you just put them over the old chrome tip or over the actual exhaust?

The ID of the tube allowed them to slip right over the existing tips and then held with set screws..

The tips on our DI motors will get sooted up as well. Look at how shiny they are new, I don't bother to clean them as it gets a nice subtle matte finish when covered in carbon.

Anybody else doing some custom tips yet? Polished 3.5" maybe?

Good job! I think the stock pipes are a bit too small and a bit too short. They need to be beefed up a bit.

Exhaust tips 4"

Decided to weld on these on a spare exhaust box fitted this afternoon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 1,191
1/4" wall...

Really? That thick? I would have guess it was maybe 3/16" at the most. Where did you find 3" ID aluminum pipe with a 1/4" wall thickness? I'd like to make a set of tips like yours, but I'm not sure where to find the pipe.

Last edited:
This is the first and probably only mod I will do to my new CX5, I will be installing a drop in K&N as well.

Is 3 in the largest you guys think would work or would 3.5 in fill the bumper out better?

Last edited:
Decided to weld on these on a spare exhaust box fitted this afternoon.
Here's a tip to make your install look a bit better. I put similar 4" tips on mine and ended up with the same shiney raw edge of the original pipe peeking out from the interior. I cleaned the inside and dusted it with heat resistant flat black paint to hide that shiney edge. Looks better to my eye.

Hi Paris thanks
Raining at home today going to clean car tomorrow will give that a go thanks

Thank you modshack for the idea.
4" length, straight cut 1/4" thick pipes sprayed with silver Rustoleum high temp paint.
73BF57E2-1E57-4A3F-BE7C-A371F900F352-5904-000002E2BDDE8E7D_zpse88e45cb.jpg

F6096613-114F-403A-9D69-DA0E441CF826-5904-000002E2C9F9D1EC_zps48a931c4.jpg

Last edited:
Back