Finding some engine oil under vehicle when very cold

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Due to pandemic, car is parked for long duration in NJ cold. When it gets really cold I am noticing some oil underneath my car. As out of warranty need advice. I found a TSB 01-014/15. I wanted to first take it to my trusted mechanic but wanted to know if anyone else faced this issue and how to check if the oil pressure switch is faulty? Seems PE01-18-501A needs to be upgraded.

Solution
RESOLVED. Thanks to @yrwei52 I spent approx. 2 hrs. going over those critical areas and many more. There are no known leaks anywhere.
Finally, found it was not oil but the radiator overflow cap seems to be having a small leak. When I touched the puddle between my fingers it felt oily so assumed its oil. As it was lying in the asphalt/concrete picked up oil.
Very very little. I'd say around 2 tablespoons. BUT: It happens every time I leave the car for +2 days (+48 hrs). 1 more thing: I have the car in the same spot always. This never happened till now. I'd say started from around last week of December.

Upvote 0
I hate that. Maybe it is just time for the sender to fail, unless there is something else that was triggered by the cold temperatures.
Do you know where the sender is?

There are of course a number of other possibilities. On the belt side of the engine above the valve cover there's a component that can leak.
If the oil plug or filter was installed recently I would check them.

If you have checked to see where the leak is coming from from it's a start.

Upvote 0
Due to pandemic, car is parked for long duration in NJ cold. When it gets really cold I am noticing some oil underneath my car. As out of warranty need advice. I found a TSB 01-014/15. I wanted to first take it to my trusted mechanic but wanted to know if anyone else faced this issue and how to check if the oil pressure switch is faulty? Seems PE01-18-501A needs to be upgraded.
How many miles does your CX-5 have?

You have a 2016 and you may have about 60K miles. The bad news is your CX-5 is just out of powertrain warranty.

The best way to figure the leak out is to take the belly pan down and check the leak from underneath the engine. You may see more oil accumulation on the belly pan and only a few came down to the ground.

For ~60K miles I don’t believe you culprit is from oil pressure switch, PE01-18-501A/B as the oil seepage from here described in the TSB is rare for 2016 CX-5, and the amount is minimum which makes almost impossible to see oil dripped down to the ground. Leak form valve cover gasket and oil control valve / valve cover washer seal are unlikely at 60K miles. Your oil leak most likely based on many reports here in this forum is the timing chain cover, rear crankshaft bearing seal, or front input shaft bearing seal on transmission (ATF). All of these are expensive to repair without warranty. Let us know.

Upvote 0
Thankfully I am at 44,000 miles. Will report, 100%. @yrwei52 : nice to hear from you!! Long long time!!
You have a 2016 CX-5 and your powertrain warranty should have run out like mine on duration of 5 years.

Yeah it’s nice to see you’re posting again. There’re too many no longer here since both of us joined this forum.

Upvote 0
As Yrwei52 stated above. If you're seeing oil on the ground under your car chances are you're not seeing the entire picture. The belly pan will hold a lot of oil before you start to see it on the ground.

Upvote 0
RESOLVED. Thanks to @yrwei52 I spent approx. 2 hrs. going over those critical areas and many more. There are no known leaks anywhere.
Finally, found it was not oil but the radiator overflow cap seems to be having a small leak. When I touched the puddle between my fingers it felt oily so assumed its oil. As it was lying in the asphalt/concrete picked up oil.

Upvote 0
Solution
Back