Finally test drove a new CX-5, and was disappointed...

If you*re agnostic on performance, check out the top trim Tiguan with R line package. It was very spacious and the second most luxurious looking crossover out there after the CX-5 in this price range, imo. Remaining 2019*s have the long warranty.

The Tiguan with R line package looks great and has space....but 0-60 in high 8 seconds though :(. they made it bigger/heavier then downgraded from the GTI's 2.0 engine to a smaller Jetta engine for better MPGs.

Why do I keep hearing "stay away from Subbie Turbos"..from freaking Subaru fans? It gives me the notion that the Skyactiv Turbo is more reliable than a Subbie Turbo in 2019.

The Tiguan with R line package looks great and has space....but 0-60 in high 8 seconds though :(. they made it bigger/heavier then downgraded from the GTI's 2.0 engine to a smaller Jetta engine for better MPGs.

I prefer the styling of the Tiguan over the CX-5, but there is no way I could live that terrible performance. I've seen too many video reviews talking about how the 2.0 is undersized for that size vehicle. I can't imagine it having the Jetta engine. No reason for me to even test drive it. The Tiguan and Q5 desperately needs the 3.0 turbo IMO, but perhaps the folk at Porsche would be extremely upset in the family of VW/Audi/Porsche.

I had not heard of the Honda vibration issue. It just keeps piling up.

Regarding sales: I often liken things to eateries.
McDonalds may not be the best of quality, but they sell billions, baby.

Marketing > Quality

It was really prevalent on the 15 and 16 model years. That's what moved me to Mazda. We were all ready to buy a 15 CR-V until I saw the vibration at idle problem. Sales guy said all CVT's do that. Yeah sure. Ended up buying a 16 CX-5 and have never looked back. My wife just got a 19 Reserve. No more Hondas although I did enjoy my Acura.

I prefer the styling of the Tiguan over the CX-5, but there is no way I could live that terrible performance. I've seen too many video reviews talking about how the 2.0 is undersized for that size vehicle. I can't imagine it having the Jetta engine. No reason for me to even test drive it. The Tiguan and Q5 desperately needs the 3.0 turbo IMO, but perhaps the folk at Porsche would be extremely upset in the family of VW/Audi/Porsche.

There's a 2018 Tiguan R-Line selling for aprox 25k in my region. Enticing with two negatives. The lack of HP and if the 3rd rows are removable?...since they take up much needed cargo space in the back. If your drive is primarily City then this is a good car to get. We do road trips and highway driving so no for us.

Engine: Power aside that engine is easy to maintain.
Tranny: Aisin tranny. Same supplier for Toyota and Mazda. Bullet proof.

Had it have the 2.0 GTI engine I would've bought one.

could never buy a vehicle where I couldn't pronounce the name of..lol

Just wanted to update this thread. I got to spend more time in a CX-5 and CX-9. Didn't drive them, but played with everything. The CX-9 is very big (and Very nice), if I were in need of another mini-van I would probably get a CX-9 instead. But, it didn't offer any more front leg room than the CX-5. It felt very "rich", but for now, I don't want anything bigger than my current car (Outback). I would still like more room up front than the CX-5 offers, but it's not needed. After further spec comparisons there are very few compace SUVs that offer much more leg room. The Outback is unique in that capacity. I think I would still want a better stereo, but it is not terrible. All in all, the CX-5 is really nice and it is still my top choice so far. As I add more vehicles to my cross-shopping list I notice I will have to spend more to get more than the Mazda offers. I am going to wait to see that the 2020 models offer, but as of right now, it looks like it will most likely be either a CX-5 or a Honda CRV. I was toying with the idea of an Acura, BMW, or Volvo, but those get up into the mid $40's or higher and I don't really want to spend that much.

Stay away from the CX-5 with the NA engine. There are issues with the cyclinder deactivation which is causing engine parts to literally fall out of place.

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/pr...tain-2018-2019-mazda-cx-5-mazda6-2019-mazda3/
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...eactivation-trouble-on-2018-CX-5-and-6-models

Mazda's solution is to run a software update. Will that really fix the problem? Very few companies have gotten cylinder deactivation to work properly in the long term. Why Mazda decided to include this feature in a 4 cylinder that gets you 1 MPG extra in FWD and no MPG savings in AWD configuration is baffling to me.

Last edited:

The Q5 is pulling 5.8 second 0-60 times with its 2.0. It's just fine.

The Q5 is pulling 5.8 second 0-60 times with its 2.0. It's just fine.

The VW 2.0 is mainly tuned/detuned depending on application. Unlocked via tune. That said when the Tiguan Did have the 2.0 it was the 200-210HP variant. Still plenty good but it was a heavy car hence even the 185hp CX-5 was faster.

but yeah the current 2.0 would've helped it a lot

Last edited:
There's a 2018 Tiguan R-Line selling for aprox 25k in my region. Enticing with two negatives. The lack of HP and if the 3rd rows are removable?...since they take up much needed cargo space in the back. If your drive is primarily City then this is a good car to get. We do road trips and highway driving so no for us.

Engine: Power aside that engine is easy to maintain.
Tranny: Aisin tranny. Same supplier for Toyota and Mazda. Bullet proof.

Had it have the 2.0 GTI engine I would've bought one.

I am currently living (frustrated/coping) with about 187hp in my CX5 for probably another 2 years, but yeah I am not sure I can handle another 10 years with such weak performance. I keep hoping that VW would bump up the HP or power to weight ratio in the Tiguan. I am going by what some video reviewers are saying about the Tiguan performance. The GTI is on the top of my list, but I am waiting to see how the MK8 turns out. A lot of rumor of bumping up the HP more, but my friend's MK7.5 has a Stage 1 tune and some other mods putting it close to 300 HP.

The CX-5T is also at the top of my list. If I wasn't in a stand-off with my wife between a Porsche Macan S and a new house I would go for the Macan today. She says, "When I get my house you get your Porsche." I am not getting a new house so I guess I am not going to be jumping over to the Porsche owner forums anytime soon. :)

Back