FE-ZE with Mazdaspeed Turbo

:
2002 Protegé5
So, Ive found absolutely no definitive info on this, but I am looking to turbocharge my P5 which has a JDM engine in it, possibly the FS-ZE, though I still have no definitive answer to what engine is in there either. That said, in the case hat my car does have the ZE with 10.4:1 pistons, Im wondering if itll handle the 6.5psi of boost from a stock MSP turbo setup. Would be nice to have even more scoot in the P5, but I prefer to not blow up my engine.

Sure you can. Is it safe and reliable? Not at all. The main problem is the toothpick connecting rods that are used in the FS engines. If you had a forged bottom end and then a really good tune to compensate for the high compressio, it could be reliable. It takes a lot of money. better off just swapping in a stock MSP motor and ECU and call it a day.

I*m doing a lot of thinking about how I wanna build out my car, might just keep it NA and use an SSFTC to tune it properly.

Depends on your goals. If your looking for power and speed or plan on drag racing, I'd suggest mazdaspeed protege swap. If you want to race on a track or autocross NA is fine but you'll need to beef up the suspension, chassis and get some good wheels. Weight reduction will help in both cases. The most power made on an NA engine was 199hp and it took A LOT of money. Doing a mazdaspeed swap (engine, trans and ecu) is the best bang for your buck and pretty easy to do it yourself.

Back