Extended Warranty for Used 2014 CX-5 - Do I need it?

jack1010

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hi,
I am new to the forum. I yesterday bought a certified pre-owned (CPO) 2014 CX-5 Touring with 40k miles. This is my first Mazda and so far, I have good fun with this car.

The dealer sold me an extended warranty (Comprehensive) from Zurich for $1.6k covering 8 years/100k from date of 1st sale. Typically, I would have refused but he said that I could change my mind and will get 100% refund for 60 days. Back home, I read some really bad reviews about Zurich denying claims either on basis of coverage or poor maintenance records. Consumer reports also does not recommend extended warranty.

1) CPO provides powertrain warranty until early 2021 (3+ years more)
2) Extended warranty lasts until early 2022 (4+ years more)

I will really appreciate any input if this extended warranty from Zurich is worth the money for my CPO CX-5. Reliability of CX-5 is above average (but not great like Honda/Toyota) and there is a lot of electronics in the car. I used a own a BMW and it was fairly expensive to repair anything electrical in that car. Please let me know your views on the extended warranty from Zurich. It looks that Mazda also offers extended warranty on CPO but the dealer did not pitch it hard and we were too exhausted to explore that option.

Thanks,
J

I just traded in a 14 CX-5 with 75k miles on it. Required zero maintenance or repairs except for routine oil changes and tire rotation. All the electronics were solid too. Really, the only "issues" I had were the mirror vibration and the USB resume issue. The USB got fixed under warranty and I replaced the mirrors myself.

I would cancel the warranty.

There are two kinds of people in this world.....those that always buy the warranty, and those that never buy the warranty. I am the latter and I feel I have been well served by my philosophy. If you add up the money I’ve saved by not buying extended warranties on misc electronics, computers, iPhones....and CARS...it more than would pay for even a major repair should one be required. I have been fortunate in that Ive never had anything but routine maintenance on any car I’ve owned...but in fairness I’ve not kept one yet past 100,000 miles. I’m hopeful my CX-5 will be the first. I always find it particularly entertaining when buying new that the dealers are so successful in selling warranties on a car that has a 3 year 36,000 bumper to bumper from the factory...but that is a whole other story. Life is full of risks. Personally I would cancel the warranty but its all about how well having vs not having the warranty allows you to sleep at night. One of the reasons I selected Mazda beyond the fun factor is that they are very highly rated. I would feel more comfortable without an extended warranty on a Mazda then on a VW.

Stick with the CPO warranty, stay away from 3rd party warranties.

Stick with the CPO warranty, stay away from 3rd party warranties.
Agreed!

To OP, even if you really want more warranties for a peace of mind, look into extended warranty from original manufacture. Unlike Honda, Mazda dealers aren't interested selling Mazda-backed warranties for some reason. I also got talked into a third-party warranty when we were purchasing our 2016 CX-5. I did ask for Mazda's extended warranty but been told there isn't any! We backed out on the next day after I found out Mazda does offer "Mazda Extrnded Confidence" but the finance guy never did mention it even though I asked.

Go as fast as you can and cancel that warranty. Man, that salesman ate caviar and sipped bubbly last night after your sale. Now it's time you disrupt his dreams...lol

Agreed!

To OP, even if you really want more warranties for a peace of mind, look into extended warranty from original manufacture. Unlike Honda, Mazda dealers aren't interested selling Mazda-backed warranties for some reason. I also got talked into a third-party warranty when we were purchasing our 2016 CX-5. I did ask for Mazda's extended warranty but been told there isn't any! We backed out on the next day after I found out Mazda does offer "Mazda Extrnded Confidence" but the finance guy never did mention it even though I asked.
I had to email Mazda to find out which dealers around me sold the Mazda warranty. Luckily, my dealer started selling the Mazda warranty and stopped pushing the 3rd party one from Allstate.

I buy warranties through my finance company. yes, I bought one. When these cars break, they are $$$$.
Not true for CX-5 Sport. To an extent Touring. But on a GT - even a minor front end collision that does not deploy airbags can near total the car. Sensors and guaranteeing they will work is big trouble. Pretty sure soon All state / Nationwide and others that have their own shops might want to avoid top spec cars and let dealers handle it.

To the OP - you have a 14. Your biggest pain points will be rattles, road noise etc. Cancel that warranty and get a thorough sound deadening done by a good shop. Spend your $$$ there.
13 and 14 are pretty bad imo. Assuming you are going to own it for 5+ years.

Agree with cancelling the 3rd party warranty. I'm also betting it won't be as easy as they told you. Did you roll the EW into financing? If yes, that will complicate things. They will probably stall, and probably refund to the finance co. Please update this thread with results.

Dealers sell these (over Mazda's) because they are multitudes more profitable. I've been an automotive fanboi for 60 years - and I do not, ever, remember hearing a good comment re 3PWs.

You state you bought the car as a "CPO". Typically, a CPO includes some level of warranty .... doesn't this one?

If you really want an extended warranty, buy the Mazda one ... if it's like my Toyota, it's good anywhere. It's also expensive. The prices are also negotiable, but you've lost that power as you've already purchased the car.

I bought the EW with my new 4R, and in 7 years it's paid for itself (barely) - BUT, I negotiated it (7/75) down to $550 with the new sale. At list price, not so attractive.

At the end of the day, they're just insurance, no one knows the right answer ..... well, unless Jeep.

Car should've come with a 7 year/100k mile CPO powertrain warranty. Biggest problem you MIGHT encounter would be the transmission, which should already be covered.

Car should've come with a 7 year/100k mile CPO powertrain warranty. Biggest problem you MIGHT encounter would be the transmission, which should already be covered.

Re-reading the OP's post, it looks like the CPO covers him until 2021 while the extended warranty just moves that to 2022. Not worth it at all for only one more year of coverage.

Having worked for dealers for 12 years I give some insight to the extended warranties. This is just a general rule of thumb and are some exclusions;

If it's an extended warranty offered by the manufacturer or the dealer itself it can be worth it. (If you service it regularly there and everything is documented)

If it's a third party company that the Finance Guy tries to sell you it is rarely ever worth it. The company will deny most things unless you are meticulous with records, service and that the dealer is on your side. In general it will always be a uphill battle and rarely will it pay for itself.

CPO vehicles are well covered by most manufacturers and it's even better than new car warranties in ways. Your relationship with the dealer plays a huge role in warranty claims which is both right and wrong. I would advise against any aftermarket warranty coverage.

Another Note: After owning the car for a month and really getting used to it and miles in. If there are any issues with car big or small bring it back to dealer to look at. They will almost always look at no charge as you just recently bought and it's a CPO Vehicle. Examples would be any off noises or excessive noise, clunks, slow windows, etc etc.

All in all I think you made a good investment as many here are very happy with their CX-5 including myself.

Last edited:
Back