Exploding Sunroof

Protege17

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
We own a 2010 Mazda CX-7 and the sunroof exploded while we were on the highway last Tuesday. It was like a loud gunshot. When we looked behind us to see what had happened, we saw glass flying from our roof. We immediately pulled to the side of the road and found that our sunroof had exploded. I have since called Mazda Customer Service and they have told me that the sunroof is not covered under warranty, as we are past the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. I explained that the factory-installed sunroof exploded, not due to anything hitting it, but due to an obvious defect in the glass. I also called the Mazda dealership, and was basically told the same thing. "That is why you have insurance." Has anyone had this happen to them? We are fortunate that our interior sunroof liner was closed, as we would have had lots of small pieces of glass raining down on us.

thankfully it wasnt a rock that hit the sunroof. The sunroof Bowed out and exploded out.
432320_10151143768659080_205485436_n.jpg

Yikes!

Seeing how this is the one and only post on any CX-7 forums for EXPLODING SUNROOF, I have to fathom a guess it was either:

A. A strike of some kind, i.e. rock, golf ball, meteor, Thor's's hammer, etc.

B. Someone has a booming stereo system and cranked it up to 11 !!

C. Gust of wind, i.e. the windows were open just right to create a vacuum / vortex / pressure wave to pop that bad boy. But that is a million to one odds.

Peace! :)

Wow

Ok to I drive a 2012 Mazda3 and mine exploded while driving down the interstate last night. I didn't even know it has exploded (I thought something hit it) until I decided to google "exploding sunroof."

I brought it into the dealership today and they tried to say that I was lying and didn't want to admit fault. I told them to google exploding mazda sunroof and they were shocked.

I was given a rental within 15 minutes and they are covering it at no cost even though I just passed my 36,000 mile warranty. This is a manufacturers defect and make sure it's covered by your dealer, don't take no for an answer!

We own a 2010 Mazda CX-7 and the sunroof exploded while we were on the highway last Tuesday. It was like a loud gunshot. When we looked behind us to see what had happened, we saw glass flying from our roof. We immediately pulled to the side of the road and found that our sunroof had exploded. I have since called Mazda Customer Service and they have told me that the sunroof is not covered under warranty, as we are past the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. I explained that the factory-installed sunroof exploded, not due to anything hitting it, but due to an obvious defect in the glass. I also called the Mazda dealership, and was basically told the same thing. "That is why you have insurance." Has anyone had this happen to them? We are fortunate that our interior sunroof liner was closed, as we would have had lots of small pieces of glass raining down on us.

Glad to hear they are taking care of it for you, I assume your car is at one of the Roger Beasley dealerships that I used to work at.

So had to look for answers...cause out of nowhere my sunroof is shattered. Parked in a garage so nothing to fall on it. Glad I found this string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just had a spontaneous sunroof breakage to my 2015 CX9
Went off like a bomb
No way a rock or object hit the sunroof.
Does anyone have a similar recent situation.

Not Mazda related, but… this is something that really “just happens sometimes” with safety glass.

Last year I was house sitting for some friends, sleeping, when a noise woke me up, couldn’t tell what it was. Since I was awake, I figured I’d get up and use the bathroom. Well… the shower door glass had shattered all on it’s own, and there was glass all over the bathroom floor. The only other beings in the house were my fianc (slept through it) and my friend’s dog (older, can’t come upstairs), the windows were closed, etc. A quick google search confirmed that this is not an unheard of occurrence...

Exploding sunroofs are not uncommon among many manufacturers. I currently have a Santa Fe LWB, but there have been several reports of exploding panoramic sunroofs in both the short and long wheel base models.

I have just had a spontaneous sunroof breakage to my 2015 CX9
Went off like a bomb
No way a rock or object hit the sunroof.
Does anyone have a similar recent situation.

Hey Aussiemazdacx9

This happened to me today in my 2012 CX9... what'd you end up doing about yours? was it covered by Mazda or did they acknowledge it at all?
Its a public holiday here today so I cant contact anyone today so I've got no clue as to cost or process involved etc any advice would be great.

Driving on the freeway and bang... no cars in front or behind me and no tress or bridges over hanging. It just shattered!

Thanks

Today, my 2010 CX9 sunroof exploded while driving. No apparent precipitating factor, no trees or anything overhead. Totally at random.
I'm not sure how to post a photo as I'm on my phone.

I'm in Australia. Insurance are covering it. It looks almost the same as the photo posted above, the edges of the glass lifted as if it exploded out; so, not consistent with a downward impact as it would be if it was hit by a projectile.

Sunroof Explosion

Hi, I own a MAZDA CX 5 and had a spooky incident yesterday while driving to work. The sunroof exploded with a loud thud and it came crashing down into my car. The car is in the dealership at present and they stated they will "try" to include the repair in the warranty. The car was bought last year April (2015) and ran 23,000 kms. I did not know these things happen and one of my colleagues told me to read about it and I see all this information. It's crazy. Sounds like a good topic for a law suit. I also found CBC Edmonton broadcasting about a similar incident on another model. They have spoken to some experts and they stated that it is happening more on vehicles made after 2110 as the manufactures are making thinner glasses to cut costs and also to make the car lighter. This is crazy and is such a safety hazard. I might go to CBC and report it. Ajimol Mohan

My 2012 Mazda CX9 sunroof exploded today. Same as everyone else stated here on this page. Exploded outward for no reason while traveling down highway. Mazda is covering the repair!!

Good lord, I think I am happy to not have the sunroof on my CX-5 now.

This scared the crap out of me.

Did the broken glass ever fall down on you while driving?

Back