Exploding sunroof...wtf?!

That's great to hear. In general, dealerships (not specific to Mazda) have a bad reputation due to so many people having bad experiences with them. Its nice to hear about the good experiences, however rare they may be (y)

Actually “never heard of such problem” has been a standard answer by the dealer for any car problem when you ask about it. :rolleyes:

Yeah, if you want to hear them say "never heard of such a problem" again, just ask them about any issues with the rear brakes...

Luckily, I've had good experiences with my dealer and no major or oddball problems. Mainly used them for oil changes/rotations and some accessories. They changed out the drivers side mirror (early CX-5 problem) and the lower control arm bushings when I had complaints and without me having to reference a TSB. They just did it. I was allowed free oil changes for the first year. The factory fill was changed at 2000 miles and got 3 more free changes (4 month schedule at the time) and not a peep about it.

So got the car back almost exactly a week after the incident happened. Looks like they did a real nice job and I was expecting to find pieces of glass when I got it home but after going in with the vacuum I think I only found 1 or 2 pieces in a extremely thorough inspection. I was pretty impressed.

Just happened to me on the way home from work. 2021 CX5. Definitely blew outward. took it right to the dealership and they said it would be covered under under warranty.

IMG_3954.jpeg

Weird, maybe it has now happened so frequently that Mazda is just covering it now. You are welcome for the heavy lifting tho!

was on my way back to NorCal from Las Vegas earlier today with the wife in our 19 cx5 touring. About an hour outside of town, with no warning or any sort of impact, the damn sunroof just ...
My memory is that the US Highway Safety folks just closed an investigation into this very topic after receiving many reports over multiple manufacturers. Their determination is that although there's no denying the problem, they have no further interest as they deemed it NOT a safety issue. Although over time they have mandated various equipment changes to reduce driver distraction, apparently they don't think that a driver would be in any way distracted by experiencing a loud overhead explosion followed immediately by a shower of glass shards. Figure.

Brian

Back