Engine Starts on its own!

I just purchased a used 2018 CX-9 GT, and I have an issue with the engine starting on its own. If the lift gate is open and I push the button to close it and lock my car immediately after it closes, my car starts automatically.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

No, but the first thing I would do is take it back to whoever sold it to you and complain.

Do you have a remote starter installed? If so, I'd try disconnecting/disabling the remote start to see if that is what might be causing the issue. Otherwise, if you're still under the factory Mazda warranty, you can try taking it to the dealer to see if they can diagnose/fix the issue.

No, but the first thing I would do is take it back to whoever sold it to you and complain.

Do you have a remote starter installed? If so, I'd try disconnecting/disabling the remote start to see if that is what might be causing the issue. Otherwise, if you're still under the factory Mazda warranty, you can try taking it to the dealer to see if they can diagnose/fix the issue.
Thanks, there isn't a remote starter that is installed. I'll take it back to the dealership and see what they say.

Try pressing the lock button on the remote 3 x times, or lock-unlock-lock and see if the car starts. (Not too fast, the car has to register each action for it to work). If the car starts then the precious owner installed a remote starter.

You can also try the following. When you open the driver doors after the car has started on its own, does the engine stop? If not, does it stop when you press the brakes ? These would be indication of a remote starters as well.

Ya, some remote starters use the oem key fob. A particular sequence of button presses will trigger the remote start. Like others have mentioned, it's typically three presses of one of the buttons.

Try pressing the lock button on the remote 3 x times, or lock-unlock-lock and see if the car starts. (Not too fast, the car has to register each action for it to work). If the car starts then the precious owner installed a remote starter.

You can also try the following. When you open the driver doors after the car has started on its own, does the engine stop? If not, does it stop when you press the brakes ? These would be indication of a remote starters as well.
Thanks, im taking it back to the dealership to have them check it out.

Back