Engine Start Button

Mmmmmken

:
2002 Protege5
Okay, posting here because I cannot find any info under tech, how to, or anywhere else after searching...

Has anybody installed a Honda S2000 or BMW Z8 type engine start button? I'm sure I could get the button from Honda,and I also found a site selling them at http://www.intakeone.com/pivot/Piv_SSK.html

Just wondering if anyone has done this, where they put the button, and how it needs to be wired up. Ideally, I would still need the key in the "on" position, and then press the button to fire up the engine. Probably stupid and a waste of $$$, but I think it's kinda cool... (drive)

Any help out there, pics, anything?

(p5silver)

Mmmmmken said:
Okay, posting here because I cannot find any info under tech, how to, or anywhere else after searching...

Has anybody installed a Honda S2000 or BMW Z8 type engine start button? I'm sure I could get the button from Honda,and I also found a site selling them at http://www.intakeone.com/pivot/Piv_SSK.html

Just wondering if anyone has done this, where they put the button, and how it needs to be wired up. Ideally, I would still need the key in the "on" position, and then press the button to fire up the engine. Probably stupid and a waste of $$$, but I think it's kinda cool... (drive)

Any help out there, pics, anything?

(p5silver)

Yep, did this last year. I have a single DIN panel w/ a push button starter S2K style and 3 flight toggle switches for my lightup pedals and strobes.

I'll get a pic up as soon as I get on my other computer (hand)

Rdshark1 said:
Yep, did this last year. I have a single DIN panel w/ a push button starter S2K style and 3 flight toggle switches for my lightup pedals and strobes.

I'll get a pic up as soon as I get on my other computer (hand)

Cool... can't wait to see it! (drive)

My friend has a BMW Z8, I'm sure he won't mind if I swipe it for you.
Man that thing is a blast to drive.

Here is what it looked like originally. My car was broken into and they got the headunit, switch panel, and radar detector. It looks pretty much the same now with the exception of a different head unit and the silver part of my bezel is painted yellow.

The panel is keyed on power and I had my alarm installer put it in (he's the electronics guru anyway). I just thought it would be neat and something to fill the extra space below the headunit. The Ignited brand products come with wiring schematics and I don't think it is very difficult to wire them up. The first set of flight switches I had were plain, the set I currently have are lighted (red). I'm a riceR(help)

Attachments

• DSC04997.JPG
    DSC04997.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC05509.JPG
    DSC05509.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 397
VERY cool! I have my factory head unit and don't want to do aftermarket due to the appearance, but that really looks awesome! (cool)

I'm hoping to do mine somewhere near the steering wheel... maybe next to the dash illumination control? Another thought was removing the cigarette lighter and fitting it there. (drive)

Mmmmmken said:
I'm hoping to do mine somewhere near the steering wheel... maybe next to the dash illumination control? Another thought was removing the cigarette lighter and fitting it there. (drive)

i thought about that too, but wouldn't that be too low?

I don't think so... guess it all depends what wiring is involved also.

mountjonas said:
i thought about that too, but wouldn't that be too low?

Hey, I recognize your pic... Coronado Bay bridge. Used to live in Point Loma!
I'm missing SoCal!

(p5silver)

I like the idea of replacing the lighter with the button.

I'm not feeling all the yellow switches, but to each his own.

And not it should not be hard to wire in. Just locate the wire going to your starter, cut it and tap it to the "out" side of your switch and then find a hot coming out of your ignition switch and there's your "in" wire.

Turn the key and push the button!

Scotty878 said:
Kool idea, would be interesting to see how hard it would actually be!
If you've ever put on a remote starter or Turbo Timer, this would be 100% easier, and those arn't really hard.
Wiring that switch wouldn't take 10 mintes from start to finish, and thats soldering and heat shrinking all the wires.

that wasn't my write up tho....don't want to take credit for it ;) i just used it for my bimmer.
I also thought that maybe the empty little spot above the hood release would be a good place to mount it.

This is really cool. I have always heard about people doing it but never seen it. If it is that simple, I might think about it. Lol, I'm becoming more of a rIcEr everyday.....might as well start buying the stickers!!! (rockon)

Back