Engine Jerks

Brannon9827

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
I just rebuilt my engine and broke it in (1100 miles on it now). I have also just installed a GT2871R Turbo. Now the car runs fine but when I get on it the car pulls hard and when I get between 8-10lbs of boost the car jerks and I loose all boost. I gapped my spark plugs to see if that would help (NGK Iridium). But the car runs exactly the same. What would be causing this problem? I have heard of fuel cut but not sure if that's the problem. Also would it being 20-30 degrees out matter?

sounds like you're hitting the fuel cut. that turbo is going to be flowing alot more air then the stock ecu was set up to handle. do you have a wideband? Make sure you get one of those before you end up blowing it up.

I do not have a wideband. I was not too sure exactly what one did so I did a little research and found out it would probably be a good idea to get one. Do you know which wideband I should get? I know they say that they need to be accurate.

most performance wideband kits use the same lambda bosch sensor, they're pretty accurate, just choose whatever known name brand that works well for you. I have a PLX on with the touchscreen gauge (sounds fancier than it actual is). It's good, easy to install you can buy the kit for less than $200 new. Also, my tuner compared it to the dyno's sensor and the readings agreed with each other.

You might also wanna look at getting an afc and bigger injectors. Do it sooner then later before you turn those Wiseco's into paper weights.

I will be looking into this. I have way to much time and money in this car not to. I just cant wait to have it running right. Im in the process now of trying to find someone who can tune it. Everyone just keeps referring me to other people. But before I get it tuned I want to have everything I need installed.

Also I have one more question. When adding a wideband do you just replace your 02 sensor with the wideband or do you have to drill a new place for the wideband?

you can do ether option. most widebands have a narrowband output you can wire to the ecu and remove the original o2 but youll get a light for the heater circuit. there are ways around this, but its easier to just add (drill & weld) a O2-bung and just leave the original O2 alone. Plus its recommend you have the sensor some length down stream from the turbo anyways.

I gotcha that makes since. I'm probably gonna get the PLX, especially since it matches the dyno. I will also be looking at the 440cc wrx injectors. Do you have any suggestions for afc? I've looked at the ss afc website and there are a ton of choices, I'm just wondering what exactly I need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

split second is fine, aem, haltech. the split second probably easiest, lost of support, and comes with a preloaded map (unless they no longer do that). splitsecond sells one specific for the MSP.

Back