• Welcome to Mazdas247. Membership is free and offers many benefits, please Click Here to learn more, thanks!
  • Mazdas247 is an Amazon Associate and earns from qualifying purchases.

2016~2020 Engine coolant leak

Just wondering if anyone had this problem. I recently noticed I had some fluids leaking from the bottom of my 2016 Cx 9. I took it to a shop and they told me that the bolts holding the engine together had pulled out of the engine block because the engine block is made of aluminum which is a soft metal. The loosing of the bolts is allowing the coolant to leak outside of the engine, but thankfully not the internally. Has there been any service bulletin for this problem? The shop said they had to essentially take apart the told part of the engine and clean/check all the gaskets and then rethread the bolts. Estimated cost $2500-$3000.

:
Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016
Many engine blocks are aluminum these day with no problems. I'd suggest that you contact a dealership, speak with the service manager (not just any service writer) and ask them to put you into contact with the Mazda district rep. Also contact the Mazda corporate office for your country. In the U.S. that is Mazda North America, http://mazda.custhelp.com/app/ask
Their phone staff is off due to this virus.

I have to say that the story that shop is selling sounds like complete nonsense. I would promptly get the vehicle out of there and to a reputable shop that will pinpoint the leak and give you a rational estimate of the needed repairs.

:
2010 CX-9 GT
I'd get a second opinion. I am skeptical that an honest mechanic would jump straight to stripped head bolts from a coolant leak. Most mechanics would diagnose a leak coming from the interface between the head and block as a blown head gasket. You have to remove the valve cover to even get to the head bolts, so unless they already started dismantling the engine I'd be highly suspicious at this point.

And if the head bolts actually pulled out of the block, don't try to re-use a head gasket. After spending $2500, saving $70 trying to reuse a gasket is not wise.

As of right now the only thing clear is that the gasket is leaking from the back of the engine. They said they won’t know if the bolts are stripped until they take off the headers. The 3rd party warranty sent an appraiser to look it over and verify what was wrong and he agreed. Right now it’s a waiting game for the appraiser to submit the paperwork.

Did you see this thread to see if there is any relationship to your situation? Seems like a very similar issue...

:
2010 CX-9 GT
As of right now the only thing clear is that the gasket is leaking from the back of the engine. They said they won’t know if the bolts are stripped until they take off the headers. The 3rd party warranty sent an appraiser to look it over and verify what was wrong and he agreed. Right now it’s a waiting game for the appraiser to submit the paperwork.
So the diagnosis right now is a blown head gasket? From your description, it sounds like they were telling you that the exhaust manifold studs might be stripped during the removal process? This can happen if the studs seize in the block. Was this a "worst case" type of thing to prepare you for the potential of a $3000 bill? What is the repair estimate now?

So the diagnosis right now is a blown head gasket? From your description, it sounds like they were telling you that the exhaust manifold studs might be stripped during the removal process? This can happen if the studs seize in the block. Was this a "worst case" type of thing to prepare you for the potential of a $3000 bill? What is the repair estimate now?
Right now it’s 2500 to take It apart and repair the gasket. They said if the bolts are damaged and they have to rethread it will be closer to 3000. I asked about their warranty and they said 24 months or 24000 miles. So I’m pretty comfortable with that.

:
2010 CX-9 GT
That estimate seems high for just replacing the gasket. This is an inline 4, one gasket, and it doesn't seem to have major access issues. I'd expect the price to be $1500 give or take.

Weekly Poll: Interested in the MX-30?

• Yes

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I want an Electric CX-3, 30, 5, 8 or 9

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • I want an Electric Mazda2, 3, 6 or Miata

Votes: 1 3.8%