Ended up going with the Acura RDX...

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Yes, the Acura dealer blew my Mazda dealer away in terms of premium feel. But to be frank, I've never been to one of the modernized Mazda dealers. The closest dealer to me is a combo Mazda-Nissan dealer that is very no-frills. Plain white walls with no branding, cheap furniture, and a cheesy elevated perch in the center of the floor where the manager sits. In contrast, the Acura dealer was very modern with dark/warmer colors, carpeted floors, glass walls, seating areas, and each salesperson had a real desk - reminded me of a nice bank.

In terms of treatment, the Acura salesperson has been really impressive. He surely made little/no money on the deal since I negotiated through the internet sales manager, but has treated me well. I've been especially impressed with how much he's been willing to follow-up on some random issues after-the-fact. I had an accessory installed and asked to keep the original part, so he tracked it down and stored it in his vehicle to make sure it didn't get lost. And then when I picked it up, he followed up on the financing to make sure I had received my first statement. This was a stark contrast to every other car-buying experience in my life, where I feel like the sales department is "done with you" the second you drive off the lot. That being said, the Mazda salesperson was very nice and let me test drive the cars by myself, which was professional. He also let me leave without having to "meet his manager," which I greatly appreciated.

But...not all Acura dealers are equal. There was a 2nd Acura dealer that was competing for the sale that made me very uncomfortable. It was not as nice and their sales team had a very high-volume, high-pressure vibe. The salesperson was very prototypical and very blunt with his tactics. They accompanied my test drive, which was annoying. I had to hear the hard pitch from their manager, which also was annoying. Even though this dealer was much closer to me, I'm kinda glad it didn't work out.

Thanks for the info! I only asked because I've never actually been to a dedicated Acura dealer. I figured the general atmosphere would be more "premium" in an Acura dealership, but I wasn't sure. Great to hear that you had a good sales experience as well. It's a shame, but those seem to be rare.

As soon as you mentioned that the Mazda dealership was actually a joint dealership, I kind of knew what to expect, lol. The three Mazda-only dealerships I've been to seem to have made the push towards premium in some way. Two of them were recently renovated and sound very similar to the Acura dealership you described - lots of glass, individual desks with glass dividers on the show room floor, nice furniture, coffee/drink bar.

Anyway, please keep us posted on your RDX ownership as you rack up the miles! And have a safe trip back home!

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I kind of consider the RDX, Alfa Stelvio and the CX5.
I'm scared of the RDX's bad rating(worse than the Stelvio), the Stelio actually looks better in that department and best is the CX5. Fun/looks/uniqueness goes to the Stelvio, reliability to the CX5 and the RDX is between.
On the Stelvio, you can get ~20-22% off MSRP!

:
2021 RDX A-Spec
I kind of consider the RDX, Alfa Stelvio and the CX5.
I'm scared of the RDX's bad rating(worse than the Stelvio), the Stelio actually looks better in that department and best is the CX5. Fun/looks/uniqueness goes to the Stelvio, reliability to the CX5 and the RDX is between.
On the Stelvio, you can get ~20-22% off MSRP!

You really gotta peel the curtain back on those reliability ratings. I posted some comments here to add some perspective for why they didn't dissuade me: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/mazda-cx-5-vs-acura-rdx.123874192/post-6711409

Kaps

Contributor
:
CX-5 Touring 2016.5
Acura's resale is bad compared to Lexus for sure. Two friends had Acura sedans based on Accord and did not recommend. If you hold on to RDX for 10-12 years you should be fine, Acura has done enough to differentiate it from CRV. Rare Acura's like RLX hybrid hold value but not all.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
I recently had some brake work done at my Mazda dealer, which has a Maserati/AR dealership right beside it. The Stelvio definitely looks better than the CX-5 IMO, and I think part of it has to do with the painted cladding around the wheel arches. RDX's reliability ratings may be overblown due to common first MY issues.

IMO the best way to suss out reliability or quality concerns is to find an online social community or two made up of owners/potential owners (like an online forum or a FB group). That way, you can potentially get real world feedback from owners while also considering the info provided from other publications/reviewers.

Congrats on your purchase! I own a 2017 MDX and a 2019 CX-5, non-turbo however. I love the new design language Acura is putting out, very sporty looks, especially with that red interior!
I also think the complaints about the Acura infotainment are overblown. Anything new takes time to get used to and after you own a car for two weeks, you get accustomed to how everything works. There's not a single infotainment system in the world that everyone universally likes, I'm glad you found something that works for you.
Build quality of the Mazda exceeds that of my Acura, though both feel tight as drum while driving, and neither let out a squeak or rattle. Never had a mechanical issue with either car.
I will also say my experiences with Mazda dealerships have been subpar. I do my own maintenance on the CX-5 now to spare myself the frustration of visiting them and I'll leave it at that. My local Acura dealer (Mission Viejo) has always gone above and beyond for me even though I didn't even purchase from them. Obviously dealerships are a reflection of the dealership owner and not the manufacturer so I wouldn't let a dealership experience dictate which car I purchase, but I will let it dictate where I get my service done.

why would a 2 year old give the driver and front seat passenger less elbow room?
I see very little space difference and issues with 2 kids in the back..plenty of room.

:
CX5 GT-R
I really like the A-Spec's looks.

Stelvio>CX5>RDX for performance, but I couldn't get over the CX5's monstrous reliability lead, so went with that. I hate FCA.

:
2021 RDX A-Spec
why would a 2 year old give the driver and front seat passenger less elbow room?
I see very little space difference and issues with 2 kids in the back..plenty of room.
I think you took my phrasing too literally. I meant we wanted more interior volume.

erhayes

Contributor
:
CX5 Reserve
My CX7 was the perfect size for me. The CX5, which I really like is short on elbow room and the CX9 is too large for me. Ed

erhayes

Contributor
:
CX5 Reserve
2021 model year will be my new vehicle purchase. CX5 turbo or RDX. I really liked my CX7 and now my 2014 CX5 vehicle. Who will win my dollars? Ed

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
2021 model year will be my new vehicle purchase. CX5 turbo or RDX. I really liked my CX7 and Now CX5 vehicles. Who will win my dollars? Ed

CX-50 is rumoured to be slightly larger than the current CX-5. No idea when it will debut, probably not until 2023, but it may be worth holding off until then if you can. Otherwise both cars are pretty solid choices.