Electronic parking brake

I really don’t like that the EPB engages every time you park the car. I live in a very flat city and don’t need it on ever. I have tried both methods in the manual on how to turn this auto system off. Neither one works (kinda suspicious they need two methods). Anyone know if there is a fuse I can pull to deactivate it?

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
There should be no need. Even with the automatic EPB engaged, once you put the car into park or drive, the EPB will disengage as soon as you touch the gas pedal.

From the manual:

Releasing the parking brake automatically
If the accelerator pedal is depressed with the parking brake applied and all of the following conditions met, the parking brake is released automatically. When the parking brake is released, the EPB indicator light in the instrument cluster and the EPB switch indicator light turn off.
  • The engine is running.
  • The driver's door is closed.
  • The driver's seat belt is fastened.
  • (Manual transmission vehicle)
    • The shift lever is in a position other than neutral.
    • The clutch pedal is depressed halfway.
  • (Automatic transmission vehicle)
    The selector lever is in the D, M, or R position.

If you wanted to, you could cancel the parking brake auto operation using the process found here, but I think it only cancels it once. When you turn the car on again, the parking brake auto operation is re-enabled.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Just to confirm, all of these conditions are met?

• The engine is running.
  • The driver's door is closed.
  • The driver's seat belt is fastened.
  • (Manual transmission vehicle)
    • The shift lever is in a position other than neutral.
    • The clutch pedal is depressed halfway.
  • (Automatic transmission vehicle)
    The selector lever is in the D, M, or R position.

If they are, and the EPB still refuses to disengage, I would take it back to the dealer to have them look at it. Additionally, if the methods to deactivate the auto parking brake will not work for you, they should look at that too.

It will disengage, but first it is fighting the brake, so it is not a comfortable way to turn it off. I tried the two procedures in the manual several times, and neither one works to turn this off as the manual says it will. Would love to just find the right fuse to pull.

Last edited:
:
Charleston, SC
:
CX-30
Mine does not disengage either when all those conditions are met. They brought me the car to my house and it took me like 20 minutes to figure out why it wouldn't move. I knew it had to be a parking brake, but have never seen an electric one before! I have the Preferred trim if that factors in.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
It will disengage, but first it is fighting the brake, so it is not a comfortable way to turn it off. I tried the two procedures in the manual several times, and neither one works to turn this off as the manual says it will. Would love to just find the right fuse to pull.

Have you been able to get to a dealer to have them troubleshoot/diagnose yet?

:
3x Mazdas
The parking brake can be released manually. 🤪 All one has to do is press down on the parking brake button - the amber colored light should go off. I've gotten to where I do it as a matter of course after putting the car into gear. That way I never have any hunkering up or down. 🙃

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
The parking brake can be released manually. 🤪 All one has to do is press down on the parking brake button - the amber colored light should go off. I've gotten to where I do it as a matter of course after putting the car into gear. That way I never have any hunkering up or down. 🙃

Some people don't like to have to manually release the parking brake every time, especially if they never have to engage it in the first place. What works for you may not work for others :)