Electric Trunk Release conditions?

:
CX5
So I drove people to airport/train station, put my car in park and pulled the Park brake, the passengers got off, and I pressed the trunk release inside the car... it wouldn't open... I then pressed the trunk release on the key fob... it wouldn't open... the passengers pressed the trunk release on the trunk door... it wouldn't open... I went there with key fob on me and press the trunk release... it wouldn't open..

I had to shut my engine off in order to open the trunk.. why is that?
is there anyway to change the setting of this?

:
'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver
. I had to shut my engine off in order to open the trunk.. why is that?

Because Mazda has defined the operating conditions (see below):

is there anyway to change the setting of this?

No

:
Mazda CX-5 (KF) G194 AT AWD Revolution TOP
You can also change door lock settings to unlock doors when selector lever is in P position. Then all you need to open liftgate while engine is ON is to stop and move selector to P position and press button for liftgate opening.

:
2018 CX5
You can also change door lock settings to unlock doors when selector lever is in P position. Then all you need to open liftgate while engine is ON is to stop and move selector to P position and press button for liftgate opening.

How do you change lock settings to unlock doors when lever moved to P?

:
Mazda CX-5 (KF) G194 AT AWD Revolution TOP
How do you change lock settings to unlock doors when lever moved to P?
It's under Settings - Vehicle - Door Lock - Auto Door Lock Mode, and I use mode "Lock: When Driving Unlock: In Park" . There are other modes too, it's about personal preference....