Electric Cars Are Not the Answer To Air Pollution, Says Top UK Adviser

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
Electric Cars Are Not the Answer To Air Pollution, Says Top UK Adviser

Cars must be driven out of cities to tackle the UKs air pollution crisis, not just replaced with electric vehicles, according to the UK governments top adviser.

Prof Frank Kelly said that while electric vehicles emit no exhaust fumes, they still produce large amounts of tiny pollution particles from brake and tyre dust, for which the government already accepts there is no safe limit.

Toxic air causes 40,000 early deaths a year in the UK, and the environment secretary, Michael Gove, recently announced that the sale of new diesel and petrol cars will be banned from 2040, with only electric vehicles available after that. But faced with rising anger from some motorists, the plan made the use of charges to deter dirty diesel cars from polluted areas a measure of last resort only.

Kellys intervention heightens the governments dilemma between protecting public health and avoiding politically difficult charges or bans on urban motorists. The governments plan does not go nearly far enough, said Kelly, professor of environmental health at Kings College London and chair of the Committee on the Medical Effects of Air Pollutants, official expert advisers to the government. Our cities need fewer cars, not just cleaner cars.

Ministers were forced to produce an air pollution plan after being sued twice in the courts over illegal levels, but it was criticised as woefully inadequate and lacking urgency by city leaders and inexcusable by leading doctors. The governments own research showed the fastest and most cost-effective measure to cut the nitrogen dioxide (NO2) pollution largely caused by diesel engines is to charge dirty cars to enter urban areas.

Electric vehicles emit no NO2 but do produce small particle pollution from the wear on brake discs and tyres and by throwing up dust from roads. A recent European commission research paper found that about half of all particulate matter comes from these sources.

Swapping cars for bikes, not diesel for electric, is the best route to clean air
Read more
While governments dont currently pay much attention to particulate matter, it is in fact highly polluting, with strong links to cardiopulmonary toxicity, said Kelly in an article in the Guardian.

The Royal College of Physicians estimates that 29,000 people die early each year from particle pollution, more than the 23,500 premature deaths attributed to NO2. The combined total is 40,000 because some people are harmed by both pollutants. NO2 levels are illegally high in most urban areas, allowing legal action to be taken, but small particle levels are not.

The legal limit in England and Wales for particulate matter is two and a half times the World Health Organisations (WHO) guideline set in 2005 and which has already been adopted in Scotland. Londons air is above the WHO limit but below that in England and Wales, said Kelly: So its legal but unhealthy. In any case, both the UK government and the WHO agree there is no safe level of small particle pollution.

Kelly said enabling people and goods to move easily and cheaply around cities such as London is crucial, especially as their populations are growing fast, and backed better public transport as the solution: The safe and efficient movement of people around the capital can only be achieved through a clean and expanded mass transit system served by buses, overground train and the underground system and by as much active transport in the form of walking and cycling as is feasibly possible.

Government's air quality plan branded inadequate by city leaders
Read more
Encouragingly, attitudes toward car ownership do appear to be changing, with younger Londoners increasingly replacing little-used vehicles with car club membership and ride-sharing apps, he said.

Oliver Hayes, Friends of the Earth air pollution campaigner, said: Electric cars are critical in the fight against climate change and deadly air pollution, but theyre not a panacea. We must now build the infrastructure that reassures ordinary people that cycling and walking is safe, and invest in public transport that is consistently clean, cheap and reliable.

A government spokeswoman said: Reducing roadside pollution is a priority for this government which is why we have committed 3bn to help towns and cities take action against harmful [NO2] emissions caused by dirty diesels. Next year the government will publish a comprehensive Clean Air Strategy which will address other sources of air pollution.

Kelly said the traffic pollution problems facing the UK affect cities around the world, which are also increasing rapidly in size. By 2050, nearly two-thirds of the worlds population will live in urban areas. How we manage and plan for growing urbanisation will be key to so many global aspirations from improving air quality and human health, maintaining economic success and combatting climate change.

TBH, never having to stop at the gas station after work is quite appealing to me. So it's more about convenience.....IJS

I've got so many gas stations next to my job I just fill up on one of my breaks at local Costco.

I will be on another trip to Ohio. Will see if I can get a hybrid as a rental. Heard some fleets keep Prius's. I have never drive an electric or a hybrid ever.

personally, i am more concerned about the electric batteries filling landwastes once they become toast.

they are not really a good option compared to gasoline, hydrogen is. so I agree with the UK, just for different reasons.

yes brake and tire dust (?) might cause pollution, but if they want to make tires and brakes that do not pollute the enviroment and never wear out, I will be the first one to put them on my car.

"the government already accepts there is no safe limit."

Which is simply, completely incorrect.

"Toxic air causes 40,000 early deaths a year in the UK,"

And there's absolutely no way to determine this, either.

"the government already accepts there is no safe limit."

"Toxic air causes 40,000 early deaths a year in the UK,"

And there's absolutely no way to determine this, either.

Which is simply, completely incorrect.

Lies, damn lies and statistics (and then Government statistics)

Michael Gove, recently announced that the sale of new diesel and petrol cars will be banned from 2040, with only electric vehicles available after that.
But hybrids will still be allowed, so his info is a bit misleading.

personally, i am more concerned about the electric batteries filling landwastes once they become toast.

they are not really a good option compared to gasoline, hydrogen is. so I agree with the UK, just for different reasons.

yes brake and tire dust (?) might cause pollution, but if they want to make tires and brakes that do not pollute the enviroment and never wear out, I will be the first one to put them on my car.

I agree.

Given the problems with handling Lion batteries and the potential scarcity of resources, I'd expect that mandatory automotive battery recycling will be put in place fairly soon in many countries.

Electric cars are really cars powered by your local power plant, right? You have plug them in at night to charge them back up. So which one does your car run on? Nuclear power or is it a coal burner?

Either way, a 1976 Datsun B210 got 50MPG with a carburetor and regular gas. Here we are 40+ years later using giant batteries and reclaimed braking power to get less than that.

EDIT: One more thing that would keep me from buying a hybrid is the fact that they have that big battery in them. Remember the Samsung Notes blowing up? That was the little battery in them exploding and seriously hurting people. Take that and multiply it by...I have no idea what the phone battery weighed, nor do I know what Prius battery weighs, but holy sh!t.

Here's a 9 volt lantern battery in a camp fire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Etug-_t7o

Last edited:
I have been following the tesla owners forum. Many of them have solar panels to charge there cars. They run max regen on slowing down. (It's adjustable) and say normal stopping doesn't require any brakes at all. I'm not saying all owners are like this but a electric car can be very low pollution.

BTW. I understand that gasoline can be quite flammable and even explosive.

EDIT: One more thing that would keep me from buying a hybrid is the fact that they have that big battery in them. Remember the Samsung Notes blowing up? That was the little battery in them exploding and seriously hurting people. Take that and multiply it by...I have no idea what the phone battery weighed, nor do I know what Prius battery weighs, but holy sh!t.

Here's a 9 volt lantern battery in a camp fire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Etug-_t7o

Based on the videos and articles I've seen about destructive testing of hybrid and EV batteries, I don't think you have to worry about explosions, just a hell of a fire. But gasoline burns pretty good too. Anything that stores that much energy in a compact space, whether it be gasoline, LNG, or batteries, is going to be a fire risk.

Replying to the original post, the solution is obvious. Eliminate the UK government, the Royal College of Physicians, and the Friends of the Earth. Many problems solved...

Back