Ecm questions

Its must be from a 2.0 protege with the same transmission, use auto ecm if your car is an auto, or use a manual ecm if your car is a manual.

Can I take the ecm out of any mazda protege with a 2.0 and put it Into my mp5.

I'm almost sure that the stock ECU works with both an automatic and standard transmission.
(the Tiptronic, (or whatever it is called) may be a different ECU)

I know the "flashed" ECU only works with a standard transmission.

The stock MP3 ECU may work with both transmissions but I'm thinking not.

I'm almost sure that the stock ECU works with both an automatic and standard transmission.
(the Tiptronic, (or whatever it is called) may be a different ECU)

I know the "flashed" ECU only works with a standard transmission.

The stock MP3 ECU may work with both transmissions but I'm thinking not.
I think you can use the auto ecm with a manual transmission, it may give you some check engine CELs but it would probably work. But I dont think you can use the manual ecm with an auto transmission, the transmission control modual communicates with the ecm and has to provide commands to the tcm about when to shift. I think you can flash an auto ecm with the mp3 tune (if spicy still does that) provided that you're using it on a manual trans car, or you can just buy an mp3 ecu to use in a manual car, but it wont work in an auto for the same reasons listed above. The tiptronic does need a different ecu as well, if using an 02 or older ecm with a 03 tiptronic transmission, it defaults to manual selection mode, and wont shift out of 1st while in drive, but will work if you shift it manually

Things like this keep showing up in the wiring diagrams.
They're not showing different ECU's, just different connections to it.

It looks like the same stock ECU runs all transmissions.

It looks like if pins 8 & 20 are connected, the ECU will recognize it and operate correctly.

(Clutch switch, neutral switch, etc. etc.)

I don't know if I'm right but the ECU seems to be able to recognize inputs and adjust accordingly.

PS...
I've never played an MP3 in my car.
Maybe my car will go faster if I do?

I don't want to have to put in Premium Gas though, so I probably shouldn't play that music?

Lol

I was thinking about it some more and if your car is an automatic with Tiptronic, you may need to get an ECU from a newer protege.

An older ECU may not have the built-in software to operate with Tiptronic (but I'm just speculating).

I assume that any ECU from a 2002 or 2003 protege will work with Tiptronic.

My car is a 2003 mazda protege5. It is manual. Just trying to narrow down which ecm I can put in it. I heard that it's only the 2001 mazda proteges that carry the ecm that I need and that only 1500 to 2500 were made.

I've got the wiring diagram service manual.
Half the book is for the 2002 Protege & Protege5. The other half is for the 2002.5 Protege & Protege5.

The only real difference I can see between the two is the inputs from the Sport AT to the ECU.

I don't know if they are different ECUs or if it matters if it is used for a manual transmission.

I'm guessing that any 2 L FS Protege/Protege5 ECU will work in your car but I'm not sure.

If you're looking for an mp3 ecu, the part number ends in 881, 881b or 881c, and you can find them on ebay from time to time for under 100, if you're not looking for the mp3 ecu then you can use any 2l ecu, as pcb said.

Back