E4 Performance heavyweight knob impressions

hnda etr

Well I purchased a black powdercoated and engraved heavyweight shift knob from E4 Performance HERE

It took about a month to receive the knob because of quality control issues. Basically, the first powdercoater f'ed up the job and Scott @ E4 didn't want to sell them because they didn't meet his standards. I was fine with that - quality takes time.

So I got my knob a couple weeks ago, and I can tell you, it was worth the wait!

Pic 1: What comes in the box
Pic 2: View of engraving on knob
Pic 3: You can see the very fine "wrinkle" powercoat on the knob. Flawless.
Pic 4: All parts.

Attachments

• CIMG3175.jpg
    CIMG3175.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 351
  • CIMG3177.jpg
    CIMG3177.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 378
  • CIMG3178.jpg
    CIMG3178.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 361
  • CIMG3185.jpg
    CIMG3185.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 368
These pics show the difference in weight between my CF AutoExe knob, and the E4P knob.

Pic 1: AutoExe knob @ ~6 ounces
Pic 2: E4P Knob @ 21 ounces (That's over 1lb!)

Attachments

• CIMG3183.jpg
    CIMG3183.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 320
  • CIMG3184.jpg
    CIMG3184.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 322
I selected the mid-sized spacer...

Pic 1: Shows spacer inserted in knob - make sure it's flat on the bottom
Pic 2: Shows the retaining nut - this holds the spacer in
Pic 3: Use the rectangular tool to screw the retaining nut into the knob

Attachments

• CIMG3189.jpg
    CIMG3189.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 252
  • CIMG3188.jpg
    CIMG3188.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 264
  • CIMG3190.jpg
    CIMG3190.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 250
Pic 1: Insert the low profile jam nut onto the shaft, and screw it all the way down
Pic 2: The threaded sleeve that goes into the knob, and your shifter screws into it
Pic 3: Other side of rectangular tool used to screw the sleeve in

Attachments

• CIMG3193.jpg
    CIMG3193.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 271
  • CIMG3194.jpg
    CIMG3194.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 257
  • CIMG3195.jpg
    CIMG3195.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 273
Pic 1: Shows how much gap I left between knob and boot
Pic 2: Once you've gotten the height set to your liking, and the lettering aligned properly (if you chose the engraving option), tighten the jam nut to prevent movement
Pic 3: Final product

Attachments

• CIMG3196.jpg
    CIMG3196.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 276
  • CIMG3202.jpg
    CIMG3202.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 334
  • CIMG3204.jpg
    CIMG3204.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Impressions:

This thing is a monster! Heavy heavy heavy! The powdercoating was flawless... I love the fine wrinkle finish on the knob, gives it some texture as opposed to a smooth finish. If you want a smooth finish, get the polished option...

The hardest thing about this install, was that there were no instructions included with the knob. You can search this forum or others for installation instructions if you want... I ended up watching a youtube video showing a heavyweight knob install from another manufacturer, on a different car. That being said, it was still a pain in the butt to adjust the sleeve and jam nut to get the engraving to line up properly. You'll have to play with raising/lowering the threaded sleeve on the shifter shaft, and then tighten the jam nut, then screw on the knob to check alignment. You have to tighten the jam nut against the sleeve or else when you unscrew the knob, the sleeve will unscrew with it.

Finally, and most importantly, how does it feel? Well I've been driving with the lightweight CF knob for almost a year now. It's always been notchy when I shift gears, which I figured was just normal.

However, after installing the 607 gram knob, the shifting is 100x better! The shifter feels like it wants to go into gear on it's own! I never would have thought a heavyweight knob could make such a difference, but believe me it does!

The E4P knob is almost 50% cheaper than other well known manufacturers, and the quality top notch.

You can't go wrong if you get this knob!

E4P had 100 knobs done in their last batch, so if you want one now they have them with no waiting!!

Check out their site for options, but basically you can get these with or without engraving, and they fit all 2001 and newer mazdas!

Last edited:
DEA Agent: Son, we have a warrant to inspect your home for.. paraphenalia.

hnda etr: Sure, come on in. I got nothing to hide

*the DEA Agent eyes the scale and glares at hnda etr*

hnda etr: Uh... will it help if I told you I weigh knobs with that thing?

DEA Agent: Son, we have a warrant to inspect your home for.. paraphenalia.

hnda etr: Sure, come on in. I got nothing to hide

*the DEA Agent eyes the scale and glares at hnda etr*

hnda etr: Uh... will it help if I told you I weigh knobs with that thing?

Bahahaha!

Very nice write up! For the money these knobs are the best around in my opinion.

E4 and I have partnered to offer his knobs and my shift plates for a ridiculous combo price... $135 shipped!

www.jamiesplanet.com/specials

Thanks Guys!

Sounds like a killer deal James... everyone is raving about your shift plates, and with the whole TWM thing... lol... well, let's just say you should be receiving more business!

I wish you guys had that deal when I bought your shift plate jabrone. Weren't you also talking about a replacement issue with some of your plates too?

I wish you guys had that deal when I bought your shift plate jabrone. Weren't you also talking about a replacement issue with some of your plates too?

No issues with any of my shift plates. I did add some new parts to the MS3 kit. When did you order yours?

Thanks,
Jamie

I tried to install my E4 knob today. It is on and seems secure, but it seems like it sits quite a bit higher than the old knob, and there is quite a bit (an inch maybe) of shaft showing between the bottom of the knob and the shift boot. Is this normal? I actually didn't use any of the spacers, so it's as low as it can go.

I'm sure I can make it look better by taking off the boot and putting spacers in to lift the top of the boot up a bit, but I'm just wondering if this is normal or if something funny is going on.

Nevermind. I figured it out. I wasn't removing the nut that comes inside the knob that is supposed to hold the spacer in place. I don't know why the send it already installed. Just makes it more confusing.

I tried using the smallest spacer. Still a small gap between boot and knob, so I removed the spacer, tightened the nut and sleeve all the way in, and put it on. Now there's no gap and everything looks good.

I've only driven a few minutes to the grocery store and bac, but my first impression is that the knob doesn't make a ton of difference shifting feel wise. Now, I should mention that I haven't installed my SSP yet. Maybe it makes more difference with the shorter shifts.

I'm not thrilled about the way the flat top feels in my hand just yet either. Feels awkward to me initially. I will give it a few weeks. Probably just that it is different and not necessarrily bad. In the past I've been more of a over the top grip guy (palm down when holding shifter). That doesn't feel great with the s*** knob. Tried out holding it from the side more (palm facing the left) and it felt better. Like I said, I will just have to give it some time.

No complaints with the product. Good quality. I just need to see if it fits my preferences over time.

My feeling exactly on the shift feel. The short shift plate is transformational, the weighted knob is a little icing but, not that significant.

Ok, i've given it a couple days and i've changed my mind about the E4 knob. I like it! I like the feel of it in my hand, and I think the shifting is smoother. Not a huge difference, but I notice a difference and I like it.

Back