Off Topic Dumb things you've heard (any) dealer say

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
A comment in another post made me think of this. I was going to post this there but instead of sidetracking, I'll start a fresh post.

Re: Dealers not knowing the brand: what was a dumb comment you've heard or overheard from someone that SHOULD know the brand???

I was at a Volvo dealership picking up our new Volvo. I overheard a salesman talking to a prospective buyer. Said buyer was a looking to get out of his Mercedes because it's so expensive to repair, even like scheduled maintenance. Not even sure WHY he would say this. Maybe to explain why Ford no longer owned them?? He says, I kid you not:
The only reason Ford wanted Volvo was for the trucking division. They didn't even really WANT the cars, but just had to take them as part of the deal.

Now I am sure I don't need to tell me fellow enthusiasts, but possibly someone here doesn't know: Volvo Trucks was then, and is still to this day, a fully independent entity. They were never owned by Ford.
Ford absolutely bought Volvo for the cars looking to go upscale European. and only the cars. (Which then prompted GM to buy Saab).

I got one... but service related.
When I owned my '98 BMW 540iA. I often popped up the moonroof to vent when it was parked outside on daily basis. Within 4 yr of warranty, the moonroof broken twice (on invoice, it costed $2000+ each time, though I did not pay for it).
On the second time when I picked up the vehicle, the service advisor said,
"Mr.X. Try not to use the moonroof that often...." :)

"Excuse me" as the sales rep at a GM dealership walked away from me to go talk to someone else on the lot, with no warning or rationale. I was 25, and this was about 10 years ago. I was shopping for my birthday present to me. I stood around for a bit thinking he just had to handle something real fast but he never came back. I went across town and later ordered my new car. Here I am taking delivery.

A lot of people I deal with get mad when I dont buy something that day. I'm currently being treated the same way by a large aerospace/DoD company. I spoke with the CEO, and agreed to buy the product. When I later mentioned a concern/question about it, I was mocked by him because "I haven't even bought it yet so it's just theory for me". While I will still buy the product, I'm going through one of their dealers to save money instead of direct as Inhad told him I would when we spoke. He obviously doesn't need the money/margin.

I run into this a lot. People just want your money/vote/advertisement. They often wont take the time to explore things about the product with you to your satisfaction, or more than once as new concerns arise.

So yes..."excuse me..." is one of the dumber things I've heard from a dealer.

Attachments

• 288638_540638016521_1264975_o.jpg
    288638_540638016521_1264975_o.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 147
About 25 years ago, I wanted to try a Camry V6 but the salesman didn't want me to adjust the seat as it was set for him; I walked right out and never went back! Several years later, I went to try a RAV4 V6 at another dealer and he was pushing me to buy it right away as my existing 4 year old car would depreciate every month. Hey genius, a new car depreciates faster than a used one in case you didn't know! I have nothing against Toyota and I've had a great experience back in 1999 when I leased a Lexus RX300 from a joint Lexus-Toyota dealer and in 2012 when I bought a RAV4 V6. It all depends on the individual that sells you the car no matter the brand.

Back