Drive Belt tensioner leaking at 40,700 miles per dealer

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
I went in for an oil change yesterday for my '16 CX-5 sport. The car has about 40,700 miles on it. They called and said that the drive belt tensioner is leaking and suggested to replace it. Also, suggested to replace the Serpentine belt.

Do the tensioners go out so early? Would they be covered under the power train warranty?

The tensioner is about $129 & labor about $171. Serpentine belt is $75.

I never heard of one with that issue. I certainly would confirm that it is a warranty job or skip and get another opinion. Ed

Last edited:
I went in for an oil change yesterday for my '16 CX-5 sport. The car has about 40,700 miles on it. They called and said that the drive belt tensioner is leaking and suggested to replace it. Also, suggested to replace the Serpentine belt.

Do the tensioners go out so early? Would they be covered under the power train warranty?

The tensioner is about $129 & labor about $171. Serpentine belt is $75.
This tensioner does for some reason. Mine lasted till last summer, but I've seen plenty of folks here have to replace it earlier than that.

As for warranty, I have no idea.

Mine went out around 40k. It was already out of warranty, so I can't help with that.
You should just let them do it. It is pretty hard to get to it. I'm surprised for that low labor fee.
Serpentine belt $75?! Installed?

Mine went out around 40k. It was already out of warranty, so I can't help with that.
You should just let them do it. It is pretty hard to get to it. I'm surprised for that low labor fee.
Serpentine belt $75?! Installed?

The drive belt tensioner is $129 + $171 labor. The dealer recommended to also replace the serpentine belt while doing the entire job. The cost of the belt is $75.

How much did you pay for your replacement?

The drive belt tensioner is $129 + $171 labor. The dealer recommended to also replace the serpentine belt while doing the entire job. The cost of the belt is $75.

How much did you pay for your replacement?
Mine total wise was only a bit more than yours.

Let's see...1 tensioner ever 40K miles...hell, I'll have my $2400 warranty 50% covered in tensioner replacements alone by the looks of it.

OP, the reason it's such a pain is that you have to partially remove the motor from the car to do it, as I understand (remove a motor mount, jack it up, etc.) It's a real pain in the arse.

Also, OP, you're being over-charged for the belt and tensioner:

https://www.mazdapartswebstore.com/oem-parts/mazda-tensioner-pe0315980b
https://www.mazdapartswebstore.com/oem-parts/mazda-serpentine-belt-py0115909a
https://www.mazdapartswebstore.com/oem-parts/mazda-water-pump-belt-py0115908

May as well do all the belts while in there.

Last edited:
Let's see...1 tensioner ever 40K miles...hell, I'll have my $2400 warranty 50% covered in tensioner replacements alone by the looks of it.

OP, the reason it's such a pain is that you have to partially remove the motor from the car to do it, as I understand (remove a motor mount, jack it up, etc.) It's a real pain in the arse.

Remove the motor? I'm pretty sure that that is not correct.

Unobtanium ,that must be hearsay.I replaced my leaking tensioner at 29,000 miles (not covered under powertrain warranty-not listed if you read it) and you would only have to support the engine and remove the motor mount if you couldn't remove a stripped nut or bolt head.There isn't much clearance between the frame rail and the tensioner so a regular socket and ratchet doesn't fit.

I used a long 17 mm box end wrench ( put on the hex shaped projection on the tensioner casting) to release the tension to remove the serpentine belt and used a long 12 mm box end to loosen the bolt and nut at the top.A six point is best to prevent stripping but I got it to move with a 12 point.The BOLT IS LONG but if you pull it all the way out until it touches the frame rail it will slide out sideways thru a notch molded in the aluminum casting.My belts (both ) looked real good so they were reinstalled.

If you are planning to do the job yourself I'd suggest taking a good look with good lighting to where everything is and how to get access to it.I'ts time consuming but not horrible if you are used to working on cars.Restricted access is the biggest hurdle and you DO NOT want to strip either the bolt or nut head.
Cost wise,the dealer quoted about $420 to do the job including both belts replaced.I purchased the tensioner for a little over $100 delivered from a mazda dealer in FL.The belts can be purchased cheap online $20-30.The serpentine is really a small belt looking at it when removed.I wouldn't pay $150 for the tensioner and high prices for the belts if you're doing the job yourself.

********** This seems to be a recurring topic with some confusion.Any chance all related threads could be compiled and made a sticky.************ Jmaz

Last edited:
Edit, I only removed and reinstalled the serpentine belt.The water pump belt looked real good also but not necessary to remove for this job. Jmaz

Agreed. My engine was never taken out to replace my tensioner. I watched them do it.

Unobtanium ,that must be hearsay.I replaced my leaking tensioner at 29,000 miles (not covered under powertrain warranty-not listed if you read it) and you would only have to support the engine and remove the motor mount if you couldn't remove a stripped nut or bolt head.There isn't much clearance between the frame rail and the tensioner so a regular socket and ratchet doesn't fit.

I used a long 17 mm box end wrench ( put on the hex shaped projection on the tensioner casting) to release the tension to remove the serpentine belt and used a long 12 mm box end to loosen the bolt and nut at the top.A six point is best to prevent stripping but I got it to move with a 12 point.The BOLT IS LONG but if you pull it all the way out until it touches the frame rail it will slide out sideways thru a notch molded in the aluminum casting.My belts (both ) looked real good so they were reinstalled.

If you are planning to do the job yourself I'd suggest taking a good look with good lighting to where everything is and how to get access to it.I'ts time consuming but not horrible if you are used to working on cars.Restricted access is the biggest hurdle and you DO NOT want to strip either the bolt or nut head.
Cost wise,the dealer quoted about $420 to do the job including both belts replaced.I purchased the tensioner for a little over $100 delivered from a mazda dealer in FL.The belts can be purchased cheap online $20-30.The serpentine is really a small belt looking at it when removed.I wouldn't pay $150 for the tensioner and high prices for the belts if you're doing the job yourself.

********** This seems to be a recurring topic with some confusion.Any chance all related threads could be compiled and made a sticky.************ Jmaz

Roger that. My warranty is bumper to bumper. Was yours out of date?

Bumper to bumper is not really what it seems. There are many exclusions.

2cdx2dv.jpg

Back