Does you car tell you when to change the oil?

C

cymx5

Mine does.
The first sign around 3000 miles the engine gets noticable louder. The next sign comes when the exhaust starts puffing smoke at idle (turbo seals combined with deteriorating oil)... then smoke at wot. Finally, i change the oil and the noise and smoke goes away.

So, does your car tell you when to change the oil?

I am knocking on wood over here.

55k and not a trace of smoke yet. Change the oil at 3k intervals, so far no problems.

Mine definitely does. The odometer gets into the extra 4,500 miles or so, and I change the oil.

5000 miles for severe and I believe 7000 or 7500 for normal...and 3000 for people who like to spend money.

yea i totally don't get the 3000 thing. for normal conditions it's every 7500 and most of us use synthetic oil, which should further extend the interval.

I am only going 3k between changes but am using regular oil, not synthetic. It should easily go 200k miles without a major rebuild using this interval.

I am only going 3k between changes but am using regular oil, not synthetic. It should easily go 200k miles without a major rebuild using this interval.

it's a turbo motor, your reliability has to do with many more factors than oil. 3K miles is still too short, have an oil analysis done for 25 bucks, you will see for yourself that 3K is simply wasting money.

it's a turbo motor, your reliability has to do with many more factors than oil. 3K miles is still too short, have an oil analysis done for 25 bucks, you will see for yourself that 3K is simply wasting money.

I HAVE done used oil analysis to determine my drain interval. Fuel dilution is a big problem on this engine, even when doing mostly highway miles and very little city driving. While the additives are still in great condition @ 3k intervals, the fuel dilution would be a problem for longer drains.

Back