2013~2016 Does anyone know the rotor bolt thread size for rotor removal?

Digbicks1234

16.5 CX-5 Touring/2023 CX-9 Touring
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knew the exact size of this bolt that is used to push the rotor off the wheel hub?

For example:
1600970425486.png

Going strictly from memory, I believe it's a M8X1.25 bolt size.

This is what I am finding as the "standard size" across multiple manufactures.. though I have not found exact documentation stating Mazda on this model (or others) uses this size.

The suggestion skip the bolt. Spray PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating oil on the rear side, wait ~10 mins - swing 10lb sledge at rotor until it pops off.

The reason why I'm asking is because I don't really want to keep using the sledgehammer method/4 lb hammer. Rather just drill it out since it's much less work using a hex bolt if I can find the right size which Mazda never puts in the manual. The next time I change my brakes, I'll bring my rotor into home depot and let you know the size

The reason why I'm asking is because I don't really want to keep using the sledgehammer method/4 lb hammer. Rather just drill it out since it's much less work using a hex bolt if I can find the right size which Mazda never puts in the manual. The next time I change my brakes, I'll bring my rotor into home depot and let you know the size
Could you find out by taking the new rotors to Home Depot?

what are you going to do if the 'closest fit' bolt jams and twists off in the hole before it goes in far enough to push the rotor off.Get the correct size.Maybe take your rotor to a hardware store to see what fits.And get an 8.8 or 10.9 grade bolt.It's marked on the head.A lower grade bolt can twist off easily.Also put some grease on the bolt threads so it's less likely to jam from rust in the hole.

what are you going to do if the 'closest fit' bolt jams and twists off in the hole before it goes in far enough to push the rotor off.Get the correct size.Maybe take your rotor to a hardware store to see what fits.And get an 8.8 or 10.9 grade bolt.It's marked on the head.A lower grade bolt can twist off easily.Also put some grease on the bolt threads so it's less likely to jam from rust in the hole.

My bad, let me clarify what I was trying to say. I will bring my old rotor to a home depot, try out all the different bolts and if there isn't one that fits, then I'll get the closest one. I'm pretty sure I'll find something that fits though since it should be metric. They only sell 8.8/10.9 grade bolts either way so I think I should be good to go. Thank you though!

My bad, let me clarify what I was trying to say. I will bring my old rotor to a home depot, try out all the different bolts and if there isn't one that fits, then I'll get the closest one. I'm pretty sure I'll find something that fits though since it should be metric. They only sell 8.8/10.9 grade bolts either way so I think I should be good to go. Thank you though!
Lowes has more metric bolts than Home Depot. Better still take it to an Auto Parts store like PepBoys etc.

Personnaly, I'd just measure the hole with calipers and add 0.5mm then round up.

It is an M8 x 1.25 as JMAZ and CX-5DRIVER commented. No need to drag your rotors into Home Depot.
M8 X 1.25 bolt should be a standard size for those push-off hole on most rotors. For my 1998 Honda CR-V that bolt is on the parts list. I did get a couple whenever I was getting OEM pads or rotors. Luckily in Texas, I have never had the need to use the push-off bolt.

Last edited:
@Digbicks1234 dont leave us all wondering .. were you successful to get the rotor off?

I actually don't plan to take off my rotor any time soon, just wanted to know this information so that I can use it in the future when I do want to replace my rotors :LOL:. Sorry to get your hopes up but I suppose since you guys are curious, I may as well test it out soon.

I R&R'd my rear rotors on our '16.5 CX5 a few weeks ago and pulled the rear drums on my daughter's Honda Fit this past weekend using the rotor/drum-popper-bolt. In all cases (4+ years / 100k miles never removed) they popped right off with no drama or heat. Easy :)

I R&R'd my rear rotors on our '16.5 CX5 a few weeks ago and pulled the rear drums on my daughter's Honda Fit this past weekend using the rotor/drum-popper-bolt. In all cases (4+ years / 100k miles never removed) they popped right off with no drama or heat. Easy :)

That's what I'm talking about, don't wanna use the hammer method when I can just screw it out instead of banging it out hehe

Usually tapping the hat with a hammer would loosen things up. Just remember to thread a lug nut on in case the rotor flies off.

Or if your rotors are rusted on really tight (Shade Tree Mechanic Alert) put the wheel on, but leave the wheel nuts a bit loose, then drive 6ft or so until you hear the bang/pop of the rotor coming loose :)

Yes I have done this. Yes I'm still here to tell the tale!

3/27 Update:

I didn't have to use the M8 x 1.25 hex bolt at all for my brake replacement today but for anyone else that wanted to use the rotor bolt method instead of using the hammer, I will let you know that it does work after threading the bolt into the new rotor.

I went with the M8 x 1.25 40mm (Class 10.9) bolt. My reasoning for going with the bolt:

Pros:
  • Precise fit
  • Quiet
  • Won't damage the wheel studs

Back