Do you use/like Auto mode for the AC(and heat?)

jhu8

:
16 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech
So I have always just used manual mode and I can't quite figure out auto mode. Maybe I am missing the idea behind it but then again I have never really given it a solid chance. So right now given that we're in mid summer, I pretty much always have my temp set to 60 and I adjust the fan speed as necessary. So for example, this morning I am driving home from work and its about 75 outside. Normally given that my car had been in a garage all night, a fan speed of one and temp at 60 is perfect. But if I put it to auto, it blows full speed at me. Like why? What is my car trying to do? My car is very cool at this point and it continues to blow full speed. As I continue to mess with the settings, I find out the only thing I can change to keep it in auto mode is temp(yes I know, probably obvious but whatever). So I continue to mess with the temp, slowly climb above 60 and the fan speed drops to two(still a little too much for me compared to normally but okay). Continue on upward past 70 something and it switches to both face and feet air flow(from just face air flow), keep going up around 76 and it turns off recirculation and switches to feet only.

I understand its decreasing it flow and speed and location based on the outside temperature given the fact that as I increase temp settings, it lowers everything. But I guess as I was reading something yesterday about AC settings and if you have the Auto mode, it's nice to just "set it and forget it". Well I tried that, and that simply doesn't work. Perhaps it is just me but I wanted to see what others think of it and if my experience is normal for Auto mode and I am just being silly. This is all based on AC mode as well since its summer and I haven't tried it before with heating.

I used it a lot, but felt it performed better in colder weather. When the heater's air was finally warmed up, then it would crank the fans. But in the summer I thought the AC was a bit harsh and overly aggressive.

I think the problem is that when you enable Auto, 60 is too cold. Try turning the temp up higher.

On manual mode, you have it set to 60 but the fan might be too low to actually get the cabin to 60 (which is fine, you've found a balance). In auto mode, it'll do whatever it can to get the actual cabin temperature to 60. Setting the temp higher means it'll modulate the AC, fan, and vent settings to reach your desired number.

I think the problem is that when you enable Auto, 60 is too cold. Try turning the temp up higher.

On manual mode, you have it set to 60 but the fan might be too low to actually get the cabin to 60 (which is fine, you've found a balance). In auto mode, it'll do whatever it can to get the actual cabin temperature to 60. Setting the temp higher means it'll modulate the AC, fan, and vent settings to reach your desired number.

Hmm okay makes sense. Maybe its just when its set to 60, since its the lowest it can go, it just cranks everything up to get to that point. But the second I raise it to 61, the fan drops to a speed of 2. I will have to try messing with it more. I bet if I can figure it out, I will start to see its benefits.

I never use auto mode (in any car) and, like you, hate it trying to outsmart me. Best climate control system were the old 3 knobs - 1 for temp, 1 for fan speed and 1 for direction. BMW still uses it, I believe.

I never use auto mode (in any car) and, like you, hate it trying to outsmart me. Best climate control system were the old 3 knobs - 1 for temp, 1 for fan speed and 1 for direction. BMW still uses it, I believe.
Same here, I never use Auto mode either for exactly the same reason. I like HVAC controls with 3 rotary knobs too but higher trim BMW does use push-bottom controls with Auto mode on its HVAC system.

I use Auto mode in both my CX's usually with a set temp between 70-73.

I do turn off the recirculation mode as I prefer fresh air. Unfortunately every Auto mode in a car I have ever encountered turns the fresh air off to increase efficiency and dehumidification. I understand the rationale behind it, but I prefer fresh air even it means the AC takes longer to reach set temp.

Maintaining a set temp in a car is a special challenge as opposed to a house given the solar gain/loss and lack of insulation. Some cars do it better than others and I would rate my 2 CX's slightly above average for SUVs with lots of space to condition. I'm sure the programming being used in conjunction with a decent PID circuit took some time to test.

FWIW, my old BMW 740il wasn't a whole lot better but had less cubic space to maintain. That car also had so much extra power under the hood that I would set it and forget it since it didn't impede the engine much. In my 2014 CX-5, I frequently turn off the AC just before passing maneuvers on 2-lane roads to maximize power to the wheels since the AC is a perceptible drag when accelerating.

It was one reason I got a GT. 60 basically means full blast. I don't pay attention to temperature I just turn it up until it does what I want. There is a method to the madness.
As soon as you adjust the fan, you are no longer in Auto Mode, so there's that....

Last edited:
Same here 7. GF likes it hot. I like it cool. Dual zone heating is a nice touch. I think some lux cars even allow different blower settings/vents.

Yeah, I think that's what it is. I just don't think it can do better than my own personal control.

It was one reason I got a GT. 60 basically means full blast. I don't pay attention to temperature I just turn it up until it does what I want. There is a method to the madness.
As soon as you adjust the fan, you are no longer in Auto Mode, so there's that....

So you just adjust the temperature to control the fan speed to stay in auto? But yes, my main thing was the Dual Zone climate control. Love that! Well my wife does lol While I like it at 60, she'll turn it up to 80. Such a cool feature.

Exactly. As soon as you touch the fan while in auto it drops to manual. Youll see the light on the auto dial blink to off. The temp gauge become just like the old school cool dial and the other manual controls take over (where the vents are, speed). Tried running 60 all the way home today. Couldn't do it...I was a popsicle.

Auto setting is fine. I only adjust the temperature setting. Works flawlessly

I just set it to 70 and let it handle the rest. Definitely blasts on full when I start because it's trying to reach 70. It calms down pretty quickly though unless there's a heat wave.

The air con unit in the CX-5 is basically the same as it is in the Mazda 6.

In summer, I normally have it set to 22C (71.6F) whilst driving and works fine. When I first get in and it's hot, I just adjust the temperature to 18C (64.4F) and it cools down well then I set it back to my preferred temperature.

Back