Do they still produce FWD?

:
CX5 '21 GTR
There are two FWD out of 939 CX5's within 250 miles around NYC
Is that just what's left because nobody wants AWD and we'll get more FWD in 2021, or they mostly produce AWD these days?

1599625656462.png

geographical specifics :)
if you look in CA or AZ there are more FWD.
I noticed that in the colder states there are more AWD or 4x4 models sold.
Some people think its better awd with all season tires for the snow vs fwd with proper winter tires. go figure.

In Texas you’ll find nothing but FWD CX-5’s unless they’re GT-R and Signature. I’d to special order a 2016 CX-5 AWD back in 2015 since there’s nothing available for an AWD in the area.

I wanted a FWD for our 2019 in MD last November, but none to be had in Touring. We don't get much snow here, so not really a 'cold' state. Shrug.

geographical specifics :)
if you look in CA or AZ there are more FWD.
I noticed that in the colder states there are more AWD or 4x4 models sold.
Some people think its better awd with all season tires for the snow vs fwd with proper winter tires. go figure.
I was always in this camp. I live where we get heavy snow often and have always had FWD cars with snow tires and made fun of people with AWD. But I was wrong. I have AWD now with all season and it's so much better. Being able to just pull away from stop signs on a hill quickly without ******* around is really nice. Also, pull the fuse for the traction control and these things love to drift it's so much fun!

Where I am, even AWD or 4WD is not good enough in bad winter weather with just all season tires.
AWD with snow tires makes a HUGE difference.
It's not just about being able to get going from a standing start that matters.
It's also about being able to turn and stop. Snow tires are far superior in that regard.
AWD does nothing to shorten your stopping distances in snow or ice conditions.
The rubber compound in all season tires is not good enough for sub zero driving.
(All season tires should be labelled three season tires.)
Anyway, there's a reason why snow tires in Quebec are mandatory, and even here in my part of Ontario where they are not legislated, 80% of cars use snow tires in winter.
I run big snow tires on my old Pathfinder, and it walks through heavy snow and ice like it's summer.
As for cost, yes, you'll pay up front for snow tires, but in the long run, it balances out because your miles driven spreads out over two sets of tires, not one.
Just my $.02. Cheers.

Back