2016~2023 Do I need to refrain from high revs when the engine is new?

Hi guys,

Picking up a 2021 CX9 Takami (Signature) on Friday and I’ve never had a new car.

Do I need to carefully drive the car at low revs for the first few 1000km or so?

No, you definitely don’t need to “carefully drive the car at low revs”. Normal driving is fine, but avoid sustained high speeds, excessive idling, towing, or racing the engine from idle. Avoid using the cruise control for long periods too. The ideal break in is country road driving in hilly terrain with lots of varying/moderate speeds, varying loads, and lack of traffic. But modern engines are very tolerant of anything other than truly abusive driving.

- Mark

Upvote 0
I would be more concerned about the brakes than the engine. Seating the pads-in is a real thing. Just don't brake too hard for first few hundred miles. I'm thinking that's enough to break-in the engine too.

Having said that, I drove mine pretty gently for the first few thousand miles. I don't think I ever did full throttle until some where around 1500 miles on the car. May be that's overkill given the tolerances these days... But, it won't hurt it. (Unless if you are in the camp that engine needs to be broken in "FAST")

Upvote 0
Markjenn nailed it. A variety of conditions is best. Modern machining techniques produce engines and other parts than need much less of a break in than was required years ago, but it's still a good idea to take it easy, with varying conditions, for a while. Brake pad break in is a real thing.

All that said, cars in a rental fleet or corporate fleet just get driven when new in an ordinary fashion, and they hold up as well as any.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

Picking up a 2021 CX9 Takami (Signature) on Friday and I’ve never had a new car.

Do I need to carefully drive the car at low revs for the first few 1000km or so?
Drive normally like anywhere from 2-4K rpm but try to not go beyond that within first 1000Kms...not normal driving of 5K rpm to redline! LOL

Upvote 0
Back