DIY maintenance during warranty

I am a pilot and have owned two different single engine small airplanes in my lifetime, a Piper Cherokee and a Vans RV-6 experimental sport plane. Airplanes are required by the FAA to have at least two different maintenance logbooks, one for the airframe itself and one for the powerplant(s). Sometimes there's a 3rd logbook for the propeller(s) in case of a controllable/variable pitch propeller. All receipts and supporting documents are kept forever in the "log book bag", typically a large zippered bag much akin to a giant bank bag. I intend to maintain a similar logbook for my new CX-5, to keep a maintenance and service/repair record of everything done to the car. My Audi A4 Quattro actually came with such a logbook from the factory with both preprinted pages for scheduled maintenance items plus a bunch of lined blank pages for freeform narrative to be written into. I keep it in the glovebox along with some of the smaller owners/operating manuals from the factory. The Audi's giant, thick primary owners manual actual resides in a special slot made for it in the dashboard under the steering column, which is kind of a neat feature that would be nice for other car makers to imitate, but so far I've only ever seen such on Audis.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
That reminds of older data processing equipment that had a manual/logbook 'traveler' compartment behind the monitor or someplace.

I drew lines on some of the blank pages in the back of my Mazda manual to record maintenance procedures.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
⋯ The Audi's giant, thick primary owners manual actual resides in a special slot made for it in the dashboard under the steering column, which is kind of a neat feature that would be nice for other car makers to imitate, but so far I've only ever seen such on Audis.
My previous 2001.5 VW Passat GLX (2.8L V6 with 5-speed manual) has the same slot there.

:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5
So this is my first new car with a warranty. I like to change my own oil more frequently than the recommended intervals. Do you do your own maintenance while under warranty? Do you keep your receipts for oil and filters etc.? Document mileage? What are the rules just in case you have a warranty issue?

I do, or have the maintenance done, on all of my vehicles. On a new engine, I change the oil and filter the first time at 1000 miles to remove the worst of the break-in wear particles. Then, again at 5000 miles. During that 5000 miles I start out driving it gently and progressively push it harder as the miles build up. After that I change the oil at 10k miles, or the recommended interval in the manual and run synthetic oil. So far, that has always produced an engine that consumes little, or no oil, and performs very well. This is a pattern I learned from Japanese motorcycles. For my own benefit, I log all maintenance and keep receipts.

Doing extra maintenance, or changing your oil sooner than the max is not harmful and may well make the engine last longer. There are plenty of stories supporting it. However, the recent million mile Frontier supposedly got owner done oil changes at 10k miles.

Was wondering about this. From what people say here, I think detailed records is the most important thing.

1) My Toyota Tacoma that I leased I got free service for 2 years/20,000 miles and had a TON of warranty work performed (long story, truck sucked). As soon as my 20,000 miles was up I went to an independent shop who I trust. He keeps detailed records.

2) My Hyundai Elantra CPO I used the dealer for their free oil change and that's it

3) My 2017 CPO CX-5, I'm really really in a mental pickle about what to do. My dealer gives free oil changes for a year, and I'm under limited warranty for 12,000 miles/1 year. I'm leaning towards forgetting about the free oil changes and just taking it to my actual mechanic. I know that the invoice I get is detailed enough that it shouldn't be an issue. I need to get my suspension checked out and if it's determined anything is wrong with it I'll bring to the dealer to verify warranty work.

:
2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black
Was wondering about this. From what people say here, I think detailed records is the most important thing.

1) My Toyota Tacoma that I leased I got free service for 2 years/20,000 miles and had a TON of warranty work performed (long story, truck sucked). As soon as my 20,000 miles was up I went to an independent shop who I trust. He keeps detailed records.

2) My Hyundai Elantra CPO I used the dealer for their free oil change and that's it

3) My 2017 CPO CX-5, I'm really really in a mental pickle about what to do. My dealer gives free oil changes for a year, and I'm under limited warranty for 12,000 miles/1 year. I'm leaning towards forgetting about the free oil changes and just taking it to my actual mechanic. I know that the invoice I get is detailed enough that it shouldn't be an issue. I need to get my suspension checked out and if it's determined anything is wrong with it I'll bring to the dealer to verify warranty work.
These are very reliable cars. Odds are in your favor if you take it to your mechanic. Likely you won't require any warranty work.

Oil and filter are $25-$35 in materials. I can change it myself in less time than it takes to drive to the dealer and back, let alone wait for them to actually do the work. Not to mention having to schedule in advance and during work hours.

These are very reliable cars. Odds are in your favor if you take it to your mechanic. Likely you won't require any warranty work.

Oil and filter are $25-$35 in materials. I can change it myself in less time than it takes to drive to the dealer and back, let alone wait for them to actually do the work. Not to mention having to schedule in advance and during work hours.
Not doubting that. But car has been seeming a tiny bit bouncy and I’ve got a weird creaking noise in the front suspension (or dash). I only bought it in November with 31,000 miles on it. We’ll see! Independent mechanics are just a better experience all around.

Also purchased it with a rear end collision in the history. When I got new tires the rear toe angle was off. If it’s off again we’ll have some problems :).