DIY Horn Upgrade

:
2016 CX-5 GT - Tech Package
Was installing seat covers today (CoverKing) and I popped the hood to see the rivets and what it would take to remove the upper plastic.....

Looked through the grill and saw 2 (TWO!) curled trumpet horns. I guess I can scratch that project. Still need to install the radiator screen.

CX5-SO

CX-5 SPOUSE
:
2013 CX-5 Touring AWD A-T
I"m gonna order up a FIAMM 72102 in a day or two and do this upgrade. The wife has finally had enough (or not enough) of the one dinky horn.
I just have one question: To anyone who has done the upgrade, have you encountered any issues, either electrical or mechanical since being done?
Just trying to avoid as many pitfalls as I can.

:
2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i
I"m gonna order up a FIAMM 72102 in a day or two and do this upgrade. The wife has finally had enough (or not enough) of the one dinky horn.
I just have one question: To anyone who has done the upgrade, have you encountered any issues, either electrical or mechanical since being done?
Just trying to avoid as many pitfalls as I can.
I did mine two years ago with no subsequent issues. It's a pretty simple upgrade.

CX5-SO

CX-5 SPOUSE
:
I appreciate the input, paris, I have a new horn on its way. (drinks)

CX5-SO

CX-5 SPOUSE
:
Did the upgrade today during an oil change. The tabs holding the metal cross bar were a challange, but other than that, it was smooth sailing!

A huge THANK YOU to all who gave input on this!

:
Mazda, CX-5 2015 FWD 2L
I removed the top panel today. By pushing the 4x tabs forward with a small flat head screw driver (to unhook the panel from the sheetmetal bar below), you could pull the panel out easily. J.Mike, you broke some of the tabs.

Last edited:

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Thanks for the reply Chris.

Basically the things that I need are:
high-note horn
16 gauge wire
loop connector
spade terminal
do I still need a wire tap connector?

In this image, the wire encircled in red is the wire going to the vehicle's power line? How will you connect this to the power wire? if possible would you be able to post a pic of your installed horn showing the wires? Sorry to ask so many questions. :)
never saw this post but maybe someone else can find it useful. At least in the pre-16 cx-5s, the horn is self grounded. If I remember correctly the oem connector uses a little spade connector which you can connect to a female connector off the horns power wire.

:
2015 CX-5 GT
I did this today, added a "Hi" horn on the left. Very pleased with the results. I decided to remove the bumper instead. It allowed me more room to get everything like I wanted. I will say it took a while, but I also had the whole thing jacked up so I could rotate the tires and clean the wheels. I created a mini-harness that I could just plug in to the source and the two horns. Everything on the harness is soldered. Later, I covered the harness with cloth tape in case anything rubbed that I couldn't prevent with wire ties. Fyi, 1. you don't need an extra bolt. One is right there, holding the ground cable. 2. I rotated the ground cable 90 degrees to the right so I didn't have to cut the curve off the top (you'll see). The horn had its own curve and that is the only way I could get both to fit. Wire Harness.JPG
I just realized that I didn't take a picture of the finished product. Not going back in though.

I also stopped the youtube video all along, used snipping tool to capture screen info and made a six page guide so I wouldn't screw up and leave something undone when I put it together. That was helpful. I remembered to reconnect the fog lights because of this.

:
2015 CX-5 GT
I thought I had forgotten to take a picture of the wiring. It turns out I took some with my phone. Here is how I wired the horns before I covered the red wiring with cloth tape.

Wiring.JPG

:
2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 twin turbodiesel auto - Sonic Silver
Was installing seat covers today (CoverKing) and I popped the hood to see the rivets and what it would take to remove the upper plastic.....

Looked through the grill and saw 2 (TWO!) curled trumpet horns. I guess I can scratch that project. Still need to install the radiator screen.
2016 models are factory fitted with twin horns.

erhayes

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring
I think my CX5 horn is OK frequency wise but, needs to be much louder because of partially deaf elderly people in my town. I'm not into air compressor level horn but, need something very loud. Ed

:
Mazda CX-5 '17 GT Premium & Tech Packs, Soul Red, Parchment
Any junkyard would have charged you next to nothing for a horn ... save 50 bucks, and you're recycling. 🙂

:
2017 CX-5 Sport
I installed Hella Sharptone horns on my '17 CX-5 Sport, the only modification needed was installing ground wires for the horns to work properly.