Disable power lift gate BEEP BEEP?

The manual infers that the beep volume can be changed, but I cannot tell if it means only when opening it using the fob.

This is from Page 3-14:

A beep sound is heard for confirmation when the doors and the liftgate are locked/unlocked using the request switch. If you prefer, the beep sound can be turned off. The volume of the beep sound can also be changed. Refer to Personalization Features on page 9-12. Use the following procedure to change the setting.

1. Switch the ignition off and close all of the doors and the liftgate.
2. Open the driver's door.
3. Within 30 seconds of opening the driver's door, press and hold the LOCK button on the key for 5 seconds or longer (All of the doors and the liftgate are locked and unlocked when the LOCK button on the key is pressed and held for 5 seconds.). The beep sound activates at the currently set volume. The setting changes each time the LOCK button on the key is pressed and the beep sound activates at the set volume. (If the beep sound has been set to not activate, it will not activate.) 4. The setting change is completed by doing any one of the following:

-Switching the ignition to ACC or ON.
-Closing the driver's door.
-Opening the liftgate.
-Not operating the key for ten seconds.
-Pressing any button except the LOCK button on the key.
-Pressing a request switch.

Personalization Features on page 9-12 says this can also be changed from the center display.

Last edited:
The buzzer is inside the back door. If you take the trim off you can disconnect it or put a bit of masking tape on it.

The manual infers that the beep volume can be changed, but I cannot tell if it means only when opening it using the fob.

This is from Page 3-14:

Personalization Features on page 9-12 says this can also be changed from the center display.

That is just for the beep you hear when locking/unlocking your vehicle, not for the repeated beeping when opening/closing the rear hatch.
I'm going to try the masking tape method to muffle it a little.

This might help........

Attachments

• POWER LIFTGATE (PLG) BUZZER REMOVAL INSTALLATION.pdf
    308.7 KB · Views: 1,022
The buzzer is inside the back door. If you take the trim off you can disconnect it or put a bit of masking tape on it.

Thanks Anchorman!

The buzzer has a rectangular shaped "horn" opening that I stuffed with some 5 mil thick heavy felt and then taped over it. Measured decibels of the beep went from 89 to 59 measured at head height about 2 foot from door, which is the same decibel level of the door closing itself. Much more tolerable and less harsh now when you hit the open or close button but still plenty to let someone know. Sorry for huge pics, I can never figure out how to adjust image sizes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG-0377.JPG
    IMG-0377.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,538
  • IMG-0382.JPG
    IMG-0382.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,515
  • IMG-0383.JPG
    IMG-0383.JPG
    944.8 KB · Views: 1,528
Aye, that*s it. It will always make some noise left connected because it resonates through the bracket.

Good job. Mine doesn*t bother me so I*ll leave it,

Question, can a well placed magnet taped down be a temp fix. Lasting long enough to get home from the big box store. I will look into how it senses that the door is closed.

To open the lower trim you just have to keep pulling it? I pulled but seems to be stuck pretty tight :/ I want to muffle mine too.

To open the lower trim you just have to keep pulling it? I pulled but seems to be stuck pretty tight :/ I want to muffle mine too.

There is a small plastic circle just to the left of the latch, you need to pop it out and remove the screw there. Then slowly work around the edges and it will take some force but they will pull free. I did not completely remove it, but just pulled it down enough to work. You will need to disconnect and pull out the rear hatch button to the right of the latch once you can get your hands in there. That will allow you to pull the trim down even more to have room to work. Hope that helps.

Stopping tailgate beep when left open while driving. I picked up a washing machine and I had to come home with the tailgate tied down but open. The beeping was non stop all the way home. Wish that there was an option to mute it in those situations

I did it on my 2017.
Here is what you do.
Open the tailgate.
Manually move the latch to lock position.
The beep will stop since it thinks the tailgate is closed.

After unloading your stuff, make sure you unlock the tailgate first before closing the tailgate.
Use the fob to unlock it.

It worked for me, but someone on this forum said otherwise. So, you can try it out.
Maybe diff models work differently...

Back