Disable continuous armrest charger port

nXt

:
2014 CX-5 Touring FWD Tech Pkg
Anyone know how to disable the continuous charging port in the arm rest?
I don't like that it charges with the car off.
I have a Zune HD (I hate iPods) with a SoundGate device that would pause the music when power is paused, would be great if I could do that.

The SoundGate came with extra cables to tap into the cigarette lighter to do that, but I don't feel like tearing up the front charging port just yet.

Thanks.

News to me, I thought the USB (you do mean that right?) port shut off with the car, even the '14 models. There was some complaints here on that very issue, maybe I'm mistaken. I'm sure my massively popular, not designed in WA and is still in production portable music device does in fact not charge when connected to the car when it is shut off. Let me check...................................

Yep, shuts off with the car, didn't check the cigarette lighter type port though if that is the port you are speaking of. The Zune has a mini/micro USB port right?

I meant the cigarette lighter, it stays on with car is off.
I have the Zune HD with a SoundGate it's a special device that does line out from the Zune Dock Port, then then use the line out to the AUX port, it also charges. I don't want to use the USB then an aux cable (having to set the volume from the device itself etc).
Maybe this weekend I'll take the center area out and look around.

EDIT: took a quick look, the panel where the cigarette lighter, usb and aux input pops open with little effort, 2 sets of wires plug in, the cigarette lighter is a green and black coming from the dash.

Last edited:
You know what you gave me an idea, why not splice into the USB.
Much easier access, I just hope it's enough juice though.

IMG_20130423_235731.jpg

Just so you know, the USB is 5 volts, the cigarette lighter is 12 volts.

the soundgate's cigarette lighter adapter splice unit might convert the 12v dc to 5v. so, if the usb port already has enough amps and the voltage there is sufficient, then he could theoretically wire the power directly to the usb to eliminate the power adapter altogether. not sure of the specifics, but that's what i think is going on.

or, if 12v dc is needed, what about wiring or splicing from the cigarette lighter on the dash just below the ac unit? wires can be routed to the console if needed there. otherwise i think the fusebox could have an accessory power to connect to.

Last edited:
Darn.
Yeah it didn't work through the USB.
I jimmy rigged something out of an old USB cable that was cut and I was using for something else, not enough power for the SoundGate.
Looking at the service manuals how to take out the front cigarette lighther, more involved than my old Mazda3 heh, yeah this'll be something I do this weekend, wire it up to the front cigarette lighter.

Not familiar with a Zune at all so bear with me if you would, are you not able to connect to the USB port and have it act as removable media like a flash drive?

Not familiar with a Zune at all so bear with me if you would, are you not able to connect to the USB port and have it act as removable media like a flash drive?

Unfortunately not. Anyways I just finished ripping out the center console to connect the SoundGate box for the Zune to the front 12v socket:
IMG_20130424_194252.jpg

Back